Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Looking for a way to link or "alias" tasks in workfront...

Level 1

Looking for a way to link or "alias" tasks in workfront so that a task could live in two projects at once. I'm already aware of using cross-project predecessors. I'm looking for something that wont be attached to timing or dependency logic. I tried using a typeahead field in a custom form but that is text only. I would love a clickable link. Thoughts?

4 Replies

Level 10

Due to the nature of Workfront's hierarchical database, a task is "owned" by a project. You may be able to find a hack that simulates what you're after but the true nature of Workfront is hierarchical so this isn't something it can natively do. I would say cross project predecessors is about as close as you can get.

That being said, I've had seemingly insurmountable limitations in the past that have been solved with creative thinking (hacks) and workarounds so it may not be impossible.

I'll be your Huckleberry @RandyRoberts and @AndyBrown

How about a calculated parameter that then uses that Task typeahead parameter to create a hyperlink for navigation?

Regards,

Doug 

A good example of "seemingly insurmountable limitations that have been solved with creative thinking (hacks) and workarounds"!

Sounds like dark magic to me. I haven't spent much time in the calculated parameters space yet but It looks like I'm about to! Any tips/tricks/resources you could recommend?

This is a great reco, if I can pull this off it should get me where I need to go. I just need to create a clickable relationship between two separate tasks.

Thanks! - ab