Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Is there a way to limit who can create, delete or edit a team?

Level 10

Enquiring minds want to know!

7 Replies

Level 8

I can’t find an answer to this anywhere except an old idea from 2017 that stated you can’t control who can edit teams! Would love a current answer here as well

Level 10

Yea, it seems to me that the product managers aren't paying enough attention to governance. I get the romance of empowering people but we're trying to run a business that has SOPs and rules and it's getting harder and harder to enforce them when I can't stop users from messing with teams or creating projects without using a template or creating projects that aren't in a portfolio, I could go on and on.

Level 8

I’ve definitely found a ton of help with governance in the access levels and layout templates. Even just hiding things so that they can’t find them because I can’t restrict their access down to nothing has been helpful. For example, our international teams are so beyond lost when it comes to Workfront. Despite years of constant training that our domestic teams have no problem with.

So, we pared down their whole process to the bare minimum and hid practically everything from them. They only have access to one project (a request queue) and their main menu only has the home button in it. We’ve seen a pretty big decrease in random projects created, documents added without being attached to work, and other mistakes.

Just a thought.

Level 10

I've done that as well. I hid the Projects menu item from the main waffle menu so they'd be forced to open projects from within a portfolio instead of going to Projects and opening one there. But if you just type /projects the Workfront URL, it takes you right to the projects and then they just pin that to their nav bar.

And now that you can make a deactivated user a team owner (but not add a deactivated user to a team) or assign a deactivated user to a task or issue that brings a whole new set of admin problems.

We really should be able to lock it down better.

Level 8

My users definitely don't know the /projects trick. There's bliss in ignorance!

But I absolutely agree.

Employee

Hi, everyone,

I'd like to inform, that we're currently implementing additional controls for Team and Company objects within access levels, that will allow you to define who can view or manage teams or companies in your system. The change will be available in Preview environment soon, once it passes the testing successfully.

Thanks!

Lilit

Level 10

Thanks for the update. Governance is really important to those of us in regulated industries.