Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

In line editing Project custom fields on a task level report

Level 3
I have a task report that pulls in information from the project level. My issue is I can't inline edit the project fields on this report. Is there anyway around this? Anyone know the reason why this is locked down even though I have access to edit the project custom form? Thanks!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Level 10
Hi: Here is how I think the in-line editing works: 1) Each report has a main object, like a task or a project or an hour or an issue or whatever; 2) The report has ancillary objects, like the task report can also show project attributes; 3) WorkFront only allows in-line editing on the main object. If it is a Task report, you can only in-line edit task attributes and custom attributes. You can’t go up or down the hierarchy and edit non-task attributes. That is my opinion of how it works. As to why, well, I have no clue. Does this help at all? Thanks, Eric

Level 3
That's what I figured, but I was hoping someone had a workaround for it. I'm sure there is a technical reason why they don't allow inline editing of the parent objects, but it seems logical to me to allow inline editing of a parent object as long as you have access to it

Level 10
You know, the WorkFront people watch this forum very closely, but I think are content to watch the Users sort through things without employees leading the witness or stifling the creative process. I would ask any WorkFront employee who knows why we can’t edit parent or child objects in-line in reports to tell us what about the architecture prevents such editing. Please jump in, it’s okay. Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Hi Alison. You might be interested in this similar thread , which has some pros and cons on the philosophy of maintaining an inline editable custom data field for this purpose vs popping open the updates. If you opt for the latter, consider: training people to hold the [Ctrl] key to open the Project its own tab, defaulting the Updates to be the first tab folks land on (via Layout Templates), add the update, close the update, and refresh the first tab (the list) alternatively (advanced; for those whose users would prefer this type of approach) using a special icon in the list to TAKE people directly to the updates (e.g. using the SAME browser tab), and when they then hit back in the brower, the list is automatically refreshed Regards, Doug

Level 9
Hey Doug - any idea where that thread link might now go? I'm looking to in-line edit commit dates and seems like it's something still an issue in the community. Christina Jarosz Ascensus

Level 10
Ehm...I don't, Christina, It appears that in the migration from community.workfront.com to experience.workfront.com, that link (and perhaps others) were not preserved. @Dustin Martin , do you happen to know whether that is the case (and if so, whether the links will be resuscitated at some point)? Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 7
Hey Doug, I'll throw my $0.35 (formerly $0.02, but now with interest!) here. We have migrated nearly everything we can from our old platform to the current platform, and I'm not aware of any decision to move anything else over. That said, getting to the root cause.. we don't allow inline edit of commit dates, as it's the task owner that sets the commit date and can only update it from the task Assigned To box, or the Update Task box. (Or issue.) Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 9
Thanks Dustin. My goal is creating a task report/dashboard based on the user ID so that tasks owned by them can be viewed (and thus update the commit date). Some of our users have 60+ 'lates' so changing them one by one seems counterproductive. Is there a way to enable the feature for in-line editing only for task owner role? Christina Jarosz Ascensus

Level 7
Hi Christina, I understand the use-case behind having it be in-line editable, but it's not something that I'm aware of being on our roadmap. I've heard that we're looking to revamp our reporting system, but that's all I've heard. No firm dates, no info on what we'll be doing, but knowing that it's likely coming down the pipeline, I would highly recommend submitting an idea to the Idea Exchange. Commit dates are a hard field to work with some people on, most of the customers I work with either have their users manage them via the WF Home page, or ignore them all together, but I also only work with a couple agencies. Most of the customers I'm responsible for supporting are IT/marketing/product based. Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 9
Thanks Dustin. Back to square one! Christina Jarosz Ascensus