Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to Create a detailed Calendar or Report? Broken Down by: Project > Parent Task Name > Child Tasks

Level 2

Hello,

I am trying to figure out a way to create some sort of calendar or report for a big campaign. In brief, what I am looking to do is create a Calendar View of all projects and tasks part of this Campaign. Originally I thought the Milestones feature would be what I use to create this but because I am not allowed to repeat milestones on multiple tasks it is making it difficult to get this to work. 

They way I am organizing everything in Workfront is every project part of this Campaign has a 3 letter Abbreviation (PPL) in it's Project name indicating that it is part of this Campaign. Then I am setting up Projects based on asset/deliverable type: for example, I have one project set up for all the emails we plan to create for the campaign. Then under each project I am setting up multiple task lists for each individual asset/deliverable and adding the specific title of each asset/deliverable to the Parent Task name: for example, Announcement Email, Reminder Email, and Launch Email Would be 3 emails under the Email Project. Then obviously, there are all the child tasks under the parent tasks and are assigned to users/teams and have their specific start and end date. For the most part, all the child tasks will be the same names under each Parent Task and most of them will be assigned to the same users but some projects may have different assigned users or tasks names at times depending on the project or type of asset.

Calendar/Report Look and Info I would want included:

1. I would like to be able to view it by a Week view (multiple weeks in one view would be nice)

2. Break out the Y axis by Project Name > Parent Task Name 

3. List the start and end date under each Parent Task Name

4. Then show each Individual task assigned to each day(s): It would be nice to have the name of the task and either have the task displayed in a specific color of my choosing based on either user or stage of the project). For example, for all copywriting tasks it would be yellow, for all design tasks it would be blue, all client review tasks would be red, etc. Or if I could hover over the tasks being displayed on this calendar/report and see who is assigned that would possibly work as well.

Attached is a rough draft of what I was envisioning. Any help or guidance would be really appreciated, thanks!

1 Reply

Community Advisor

camostafin, the current version of calendar is not able to handle a complex design like you've laid out, may be in the future it will be able to.  There is no ability to "stack" the label, but you can build a horizontal concatenated label for project, parent task, start/end date, which could look like this under the custom prompt task area, {project:name} | {parent:name} | {plannedStartDate} - {plannedCompletionDate}