Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

How to assign all users to a task?

Level 5

Hi all,

I want to be able to add all active users to a task for a company social event, but it appears you can't assign to a group, just a team. I don't want to use the teams option as they will go out of date for future events, so won't contain all staff.

Is there a way of applying all active users to a task without listing them all one by one please?

Thanks

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Matt, have you considered using Teams? Since you mention there are other events and internal tasks that you'd have aside from this one social event, it could be useful to split up these ~55 people on different Teams attached to their profile and assign these kinds of tasks to all Teams. If you have 10 Teams, for example, still easier than assigning to 55 people : ) Having Teams can also open up other kinds of reports across your projects/hours/etc. If you already use Teams, then I'd add all the existing Teams that encompass everyone, and then if you have any stragglers not technically on a Team (like leadership for example), then you add those individuals with the Teams to the task(s).

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Community Advisor

I'm not aware of something like this. How many people are we talking? How will they be using the task they're assigned to? If it's something you want them to track time to, for example, you could share the project itself with the Group and they can track time to the project and pin it to their timesheets. 

Level 5

Hi Madalyn,

This particular task is a company social that we still need to record time for and is contained within a project that holds lots of internal tasks to timesheet against. They already have access to it, but do this so that it adds to their schedule and their home work list so they don't have to go searching for the correct code.

At the moment we list everyone individually against the task(s) as needed, but was hoping their was an easier method, like when you send an email to a distribution group. The group is maintained to contain the correct people, so you don't have to look up who should be included. Saves accidently missing people as well, especially if they're new starter and the person adding to the task isn't aware of them.

Anyway, we're only talking about 55 people, so we'll have to manage for now.

Thanks

again for your help.

Matt

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Matt, have you considered using Teams? Since you mention there are other events and internal tasks that you'd have aside from this one social event, it could be useful to split up these ~55 people on different Teams attached to their profile and assign these kinds of tasks to all Teams. If you have 10 Teams, for example, still easier than assigning to 55 people : ) Having Teams can also open up other kinds of reports across your projects/hours/etc. If you already use Teams, then I'd add all the existing Teams that encompass everyone, and then if you have any stragglers not technically on a Team (like leadership for example), then you add those individuals with the Teams to the task(s).

Level 5

Hi Madalyn,

We use teams, but my understanding is that if you assign a Team to a task it doesn't feed into the schedule, which is something we would need to do. I'm I'm wrong about that, then this would do the job.

Thanks

Matt

Level 10

HI @MattWindsor  I believe this should work, if your schedule setting from set up is user bases.

Level 5

Hi Kundanism,

Thanks for your help. I've just tried booking a task against a user (as a control) and that worked as expected. But booking the Team that the user is part of didn't allocate any time in their Workload Balancer. 

This is the only issue stopping me from being able to use this method.

Thanks again

Matt

Community Advisor

Darn. At this point, probably would have taken less time than to add 55ppl to a task haha. Since you’ll have future events/tasks that require this, I say you add all the people on this one, then for future you copy the task and rename, revise the ppl from there (delete anyone that has left, for example). You’ll at least have the bulk of users already there.

Level 5

Haha, yes, I've done it all manually now. We have things like this 3 or 4 times a month so didn't want to manually do it. I know at some point I'll miss someone.

Anyway, it's all good, it's not the end of the world doing as you suggested, so thanks for your time on this.

Until the next time...

Matt

Community Advisor

Yeah if they're that frequent, I thinking copying the task is the way to go (and therefore copying the assignments). Easier to change task name/date than to add every person each time. Good luck!

Community Advisor

@MattWindsor since there were a lot of replies here, to help close the loop on this discussion and help others with same question more easily find the recommended solution, please mark my reply with the suggestion of copying the task with all the assignments as correct. Thanks!

Level 10

@MattWindsor  You can also create a recurring task based on timeline. We are using many places in our projects as well as for independent task.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-work/tasks/create-tasks/create-recurr...

May be this can help you.

Level 10

Teams doesn't work for this, I went through the same thing. I now think of Teams as a placeholder for a group of people to grab a task and assign it to someone - it's like you are giving a task to a call center and someone has to answer it. So I rarely use Teams in projects, other than for sharing, where it works nicely and provides more specific access to a project than does a Group.

Copying the task is a good idea, and also you can make a template with the one task, and Assign the template to the project each time you need it.

Level 5

Thanks, I've come to the same conclusion. Copying the previous task isn't too bad really, so I'm happy to wait for the next software update to contain the solution.  

Level 10

Hi @MattWindsor 

I agree with @Madalyn_Destafney . Even I see the team assignment will work, once the event is completed either remove the users or delete the team. It would be really good to know some other way to resolve this scenario. May be other community member can suggest.

Level 10

The hour splitting rules in Workload Balancer are:

Multiple Teams don’t affect hours allocation division

Multiple Assignees (Users) do affect hours allocation division

Multiple Roles don’t affect hours allocation division*

*If a new assignee is added that has a role that’s already listed, the hours for the role and user will combine and NOT be divided

*If a new assignee is added that has a role that has NOT been listed, the allocated hours will split(divide)