Expand my Community achievements bar.

How can I view an expenses dashboard within a project?

Level 4

I'm trying to create a workaround so that our project owners (in the system as Workers) can view expenses on their projects.

I've: created a project expenses report

created a project expenses dashboard

shared the report and dashboard with the team

created a new custom section in the layout template and project templates

added the dashboard to the new custom section

The report and dashboard are fine and show all expenses, but once I look at it within the project, it's blank. I can't figure out what I'm missing. Ideally it would only show that project's expenses within the project but even if I had to view the entire dashboard that would be better than them not being able to see anything.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 10

Instead of a project report, create an expense report and it should work.

Level 4

Sorry, I should have clarified. It is an expense report, with expenses from each project. And the report is perfect as a report. it's trying to view it within a project that I don't get any results.

Hope that helps clarify.

Level 10

Oh I was having the exact same problem and I posted the same question but didn't get any replies. I spent hours playing with people's access to the report and the dashboard and then I foudn that when I did "add expense" it duplicated the line item but finally worked. I haven't delved further due to no time but if you find anything out, would love to know.

Level 4

I've given up for now too; will revisit when I have more time and hopefully can still figure out a solution.

Employee

Hey guys,

This is an interesting one. Have you submitted this as a case to support at all? I hesitate because I don't know if this is a support case or something that might need professional services... @Doug Den Hoed‚ I know you have worked quite a bit with the expense object - is this anything you've run into before?

Kyna

Level 10

Thanks for the tag @Kyna Baker - inactive‚, and pardon my delay @Cheryl Lutmer‚,

In the past, I've tackled this my using a special Filters and View on the built in Expenses tab under Projects (or Tasks), typically filtering to a finite set of Expenses, and viewing additional custom data (e.g. for standard rates, % Discounts, $ Discounts, Net Pricing, Locked Pricing, etc.). We definitely got it all going as we needed, so I'd encourage you to not give up. In fact, if you can switch gears and simply use Filters and Views on the built in Expense tab yourself, that might be all you need.

Otherwise/as an aside...the difference might be in trying to get this report you mentioned "wired in" using Workfront's auto-filtering functionality (e.g. in the way a Task Report on a Project Level custom tab or custom section in NWE will then "self restrict" to only Tasks on currently viewed Project). Expenses (like Issues) are a bit more complicated because they can be 1:many with a Project, or 1:many with a Task, which might be tripping up "self restrict" behavior. If so, what I've resorted to in similar cases is to add a Prompt on the Project to the report, and train users to copy/paste the Project they've selected into the Prompt, then run the report to effectively force that restriction. Meh. Any port in a storm.

Good luck with it (you too, @Jill Ackerman‚), and I'm interested to hear how you make out.

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

Thanks for the tag @Kyna Baker - inactive‚, and pardon my delay @Cheryl Lutmer‚,

In the past, I've tackled this using special Filters and Views on the built in Expenses tab under Projects (or Tasks), typically filtering to a finite set of Expenses, and viewing additional custom data (e.g. for standard rates, % Discounts, $ Discounts, Net Pricing, Locked Pricing, etc.). We definitely got it all going as we needed, so I'd encourage you to not give up. In fact, if you can switch gears and simply use Filters and Views on the built in Expense tab yourself, that might be all you need.

Otherwise/as an aside...the difference might be in trying to get this report you mentioned "wired in" using Workfront's auto-filtering functionality (e.g. in the way a Task Report on a Project Level custom tab or custom section in NWE will then "self restrict" to only Tasks on currently viewed Project). Expenses (like Issues) are a bit more complicated because they can be 1:many with a Project, or 1:many with a Task, which might be tripping up "self restrict" behavior. If so, what I've resorted to in similar cases is to add a Prompt on the Project to the report, and train users to copy/paste the Project they've selected into the Prompt, then run the report to effectively force that restriction. Meh. Any port in a storm.

Good luck with it (you too, @Jill Ackerman‚), and I'm interested to hear how you make out.

Regards,

Doug