Expand my Community achievements bar.

How can I change this duration on my parent task? It is Wrong! Picture Attached

Level 10
How can I change this duration on my parent task?
3 Replies

Level 10
The values of the Parent are derived from the children. To change the duration of the Parent, change the duration of one or more of the children. Hope this helps! Eric

Level 2
Hi Benetta, if I'm understanding the situation, the parent task duration seems longer than the sum of all the child tasks. The duration of a parent task can be skewed by one or more tasks that have a fixed date, must start on, or must finish on constraint that makes its dates far from the rest of the child tasks' dates. So for example, if one child task with a duration of 1 day has a set date in January, and one child task with a duration of 2 days has a set date in May, the parent task's duration will be 5 months, even though the sum duration of the two tasks is only 3 days. Beth Massura Assistant Director of Operations, Marketing The University of Chicago Booth School of Business 5807 South Woodlawn Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60637 Phone: 773.702.7598

Level 10
Solution: In Edit Project, in the field Schedule From, I selected Start Date and entered my start date then I saved. I went into Edit Project again, in the same field Schedule From, I selected Completion Date and enter my completion date, then I saved. These dates are 1 week apart. Somehow, my start date was 2 - 4 months before my completion date.