Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Has anyone used WorkFront for tracking employee training and onboarding?

Level 2
Has anyone used WorkFront for tracking employee training and onboarding?
16 Replies

Level 10

Yes indeed, Steve: Workfront works very well for onboarding, and I've used it in that manner in a number of ways over the years. Here are some ideas:

Custom Form(s) behind new Users with Section(s) for orientation steps, equipment needs, and office setup

"Onboard A Person" Template(s) for more sophisticated processes, setting up a Project for each new person, insert the Template(s)

Setting up self-serve Request Queues in Workfront so the new person can "ask" for what they need (phone, computer, credentials, company car...)

Custom Form(s) for tracking the Training Courses they've taken, and Renewal Dates of expiring courses (see attached)

For onboarding them into Workfront, track and/or reward them using something like our "

http://www.atappstore.com/Docs/user-adoption/User%20Adoption%20Dashboard.png

">UserWatch solution

And to help make them proficient within Workfront more quickly, support them using the "

http://www.jumpseat.io/site/workfront/

">JumpSeat Workfront Training solution

The sky's the limit!

Regards,

Doug0690z000007ZkTQAA0.png

Level 2
Yes, my organization is. We've created an Onboarding project template that works through the entire process from offer letter to mouse for their computer. Cheers! -- Scott Adams Work together. Work smarter. Workfront. Business System Analyst Lead Global Creative Studio | Starbucks Coffee Company

Level 1
Hi Steve, I do use Workfront for tracking employee training. I have created a project called " Workfront Onboarding 2015 & 2016". Within this project I create a Task for each new user. I provided the necessary training information based on their access level within Workfront and I give them a timeframe for completion of training. For any new users that are "Reviewer" access level I have created a powerpoint quick start guide to help them in Workfront without having to go through the training. If you would like a copy of this quick start guide just email me. See my email below, let me know if you would like to discuss my Workfront Onboarding Project, happy to discuss more detail. Thanks! Maryland BBVA Compass Maryland Tracy Web Traffic Manager - Digital Sales "mailto:maryland.tracy@bbva.com" maryland.tracy@bbva.com Office: 205.578.5808 Mobile: 205.240.7472

Level 4
Yes, we are currently implementing Workfront to a team of about 50 users and each user has been assigned a task to complete online individual training. The task description has the link and instructions. When they complete training, they get a swag reward. We are also working on developing a HR request queue with a custom form to be converted into a templated project that will contain tasks and assignments for every step needed for a new employee (office setup, phone, welcome packet, etc.) Still work in progress. We have also created a master project plan for Workfront rollout and it has all the steps to onboard each team (enter project plans, train project managers and coordinators, team kick off, on site training per department, etc.) Last, we have a form and queue setup for when a user has been reassigned to a different client brand and therefore needs different dashboards, or access to particular client systems, etc. Hope this helps. As we continue our implementation I am sure more ideas will come up. Good luck!

Level 1
I sure do. Much more simple than others. I use it to track orientation time by using adhoc tasks. But I use it for training to use the tool too.

Level 2
Currently I don't believe we do, but it's a damn good idea!!!

Level 6
Wow, ok! Hadn't thought about doing any of this. I will be working on a plan this week, thanks :)

Level 4
No we haven’t used it yet for anything other than change management. However, after recently being challenged to widen the scope of usage, I do think it is a great idea to track training through here, including requests, approval and spend. Thanks for the inspiration. !

Level 4
Hello Steve, We use Workfront for Employee Training as well as for Onboarding. Although, there are some common areas for both, we use two separate projects for those. ♦ Employee Training This is owned by the “Quality Assurance” team and is part of the corporate training record. This formal project tracks all the trainings attended by an employee in his lifecycle in the company. ♦ Employee Onboarding This project is owned by the employee’s hiring manager. This lists all the steps from the recruiting stage to all initial knowledge sharing sessions.

Level 1
Not yet but it would be useful to implement.

Level 2

Yes, we do at Electrolux. I created a custom cirriculum for the design studio that looks like this ( WF education roadmap.png ).

This gives members a view into what they and others are doing in terms of getting up to speed using the system.

I also setup a custom cell that allows me to select (as the admin) which courses a person has taken, and that information is available in the 'people' tab so others can see who are power-users and who are beginners at a glance. ( custom form for education image.png ).

Working with WF, they supply me a weekly report from their system of individuals from my company that take training (date taken, course taken, etc) which i use to keep my records straight, and keep the team honest! ;)

I've submitted to WF the idea of having 'badges' or something of the sort to acknowledge achievments (like video games or gaming apps do) to encourage people to take more courses as they unlock things in their profile that others can see at a glance in the system.0690z000007ZkSrAAK.png

Level 3
No. It is a good idea for my company. I will discuss with my all project manager on next week meeting. I hope we can use for training purpose. Thanks

Level 2
Thanks everyone for your ideas and feedback. Very helpful in our brainstorming process. Here is what we have done at KLAS thus far with everyone's help.... 1) Built an onboarding project template with key milestones/checkpoints. Each person's training is essentially a project with various tasks. I had originally tried to do this with one training project and each person is a task, but that didn't work so well. The project route is a better way to go. 2) To the template we added in a custom form where the key training sessions are each identified with a custom drop-down field with the options of low, medium, and high. Those are the levels of proficiency demonstrated by the employee in each of those areas. Low means they have had little to no training, Medium indicates they have had formal training and are working toward a proficiency measure that indicates that they "got it." At which point, we change the drop down to high. 3) When it comes to reporting, I built a project report with each of those custom fields lined up in order across the header and then do custom formatting of each to show a red flag for Low, yellow flag for medium and a green flag for high proficiency. It is very easy to look across all of those in training and see which courses need to be given (lots of red), and where we are good. 4) When the key milestone tasks are complete, and we "close" training for that person, then that project falls off the report. Not that training employees is ever done done, but we know they have demonstrated proficiency in each area and should be good to go with ongoing support from their manager. 5) I have also scheduled the report to go out to managers each month so they know where their people stand in their training. We organize the report by manager (sponsor) so it is easier for each of them to see their team faster. One of the things we added as a custom form is their hire group. We have a report variation that is sorted by hire group so it is easy to see which employees are off to the races and doing well and which of their peers are lagging behind and may need additional support based on having similar timelines. Anyway, I hope that is helpful to some of you that are also considering this route. I am sure someone out there can improve upon what we have done, but I really appreciate the insights and encouragement to put this together. Good luck everyone.

Former Community Member

Hello Doug,

The jumpseat link is not working.0690z000007ZjnVAAS.jpg

Level 10
Thanks Chandra; the JumpSeat site was recently reorganized, and the new location of the JumpSeat Workfront Offer is at http://www.jumpseat.io/site/workfront Regards, Doug