Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Grouping a Report by a specific job role

Level 1

I'm trying to create a project report, where I would like to have the report charted and grouped using a specific user role. I have tried doing some text mode grouping, but none of it seems to work. I'm able to get a list of who's assigned or who's on the people tab and their roles, but I can't then extract a specific user within a specific role, and then also group by it. Appreciate any suggestions. 

5 Replies

Community Advisor

You won't be able to do this in Project report. It's too many "jumps" in data to do it.

I would be curious to know what the outcome of the report you are trying to get is. I would suggest looking into a task or assignment report.

Level 1

The purpose of the report would be track Project assignment to a specific role that is not the project owner. I have text mode fields that can pull the names and the roles, but it just doesn't want to group that way. I am also not able to just pull out the single user that's associated to a role. The text fields pull all of the names and roles that appear on the "People" tab. I also tried text mode grouping, but I don't have enough knowledge to be able to build it. 

Community Advisor

You won't be able to pull a specific job role on a project report to group by since it's a collection of data stored on your project but is not actually tied to your project. The data you are looking to group by is tied to tasks and assignments. Workfront will allow only a few jumps in tables to natively pull in data.

Your best bet would be to try a task or assignment report. 

Level 1

I tried both, but still can't get to what I need. I'm a novice with text mode, so not really sure how to pull out the data I need. I'm able to use Task>>Assignments to get at the names of everyone assigned, but can't pull out just the name I need to report on and especially group by. Not sure if there's a way to say something like: Within the assignments (Task>>Assignments), group by the user whose role equals XXXXX. Any report that I run where I can isolate those users seems to be coming back with partial data and I'm not filter out anything that should cause that issue. 

Community Advisor

Agree with Kellie, and an assignment report with matrix grouping is what we landed on. This example is grouped by project department, but you could group it by project name.

Sheri_Whitten_0-1699993163538.png