Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Good existing resources on managing work across the world on a single project?

Level 3

Business challenge: We have the majority of our employees on the East coast of the United States, but have projects that involve people in major locations around the world. The ask is to have the project schedules reflect the reality of not only time zones but also regional holidays.

I know you can create schedules for different users, but is there good documentation on what happens if a project has people from three schedules existing? Does one schedule "win", etc? 

I am looking for items in the community and on the website but coming up blank so far.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

We have a similar situation--most of our staff is US-based (with most on the East Coast), while we have other main hubs in the UK and Malaysia.  In project settings you can specify a particular schedule (or leave it blank).  You can also tell the project to consider or ignore user time off in task durations.

KristenS_WF_1-1707163973077.png

One issue we had recently was when WF seemed to be ignoring a holiday listed in our schedule for Malaysia.  We discovered it was because there were two assignees for a task (both in Malaysia).  There's a setting (available at both the system and group levels, I think) where multiple assignees will cause WF to either utilize the schedule of the primary assignee or the project (for us it was set to use the project schedule, which in this case was the default US schedule).

KristenS_WF_0-1707163915529.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 5

We have a similar situation--most of our staff is US-based (with most on the East Coast), while we have other main hubs in the UK and Malaysia.  In project settings you can specify a particular schedule (or leave it blank).  You can also tell the project to consider or ignore user time off in task durations.

KristenS_WF_1-1707163973077.png

One issue we had recently was when WF seemed to be ignoring a holiday listed in our schedule for Malaysia.  We discovered it was because there were two assignees for a task (both in Malaysia).  There's a setting (available at both the system and group levels, I think) where multiple assignees will cause WF to either utilize the schedule of the primary assignee or the project (for us it was set to use the project schedule, which in this case was the default US schedule).

KristenS_WF_0-1707163915529.png

Level 10

Good advice from Kristen. We too, have multiple locations from California to NYC to London and Manila so time zones are a challenge. Make sure your user schedules are accurate and up to date and the project schedule as well. Workfront does a pretty good job of time zone translation in projects and tasks… except for when it comes to time off. Be careful with time off calendars since they run from midnight to midnight and someone taking a day off in London looks like two days off to a New Yorker.