Expand my Community achievements bar.

forecasting project losses

Level 1

hi 

does anyone know how to forecast if jobs are going to end up over-spending in the end with planned hours vs actual hour, ie at current spend rate, where the job will end up with based on hours planned in WF? It's a easy formula in excel, total planned hours - (total actual hours + total planned hour where atual hours is null), if this number is negative, means this job is likely going to end up in losses. This seems very diffcult to achieve on WF, or is there another we can look at forecasting job losses on WF? any suggestions please? thank you!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi @SummerBi,

That's a useful calculation, but you're right, it is very difficult to achieve because it requires checking and summing the planned and actual hours on every task, and gets even trickier when there are dollars involved (e.g. user's job role rates and/or expenses). Given that, I invite you to consider our AFA Burn Report with Baselineᐩ solution, and for more discussion in this area, visit this Margins thread.

Regards

Doug

hi Doug

thanks for replying. 

I just want to be able to get a rough idea on which job I should pay more attention, dont need to involve dollar in my case and expenses are kept separately, just want to understand from hour used perspective, it's hard to believe a project management tool does not able to provide predictions.