Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Email updates to a Workfront project

Level 1
I was wondering is there a way to email updates to a workfront project? For example, if I wanted to copy a project on an email, is there a way to send to a specific address that would add a note on the project updates tab? Trying to get our teams to use this more for tracking and I think that would help adoption if it's possible Anne Marie Dufresne Cooley LLP
8 Replies

Level 10
I don't think you can email a project. The Outlook integration is the closest thing I can think of, where you update a project with a pre-received email. "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/228432648-Setting-Up-Workfront-for-Outlook" title="https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/228432648-Setting-Up-Workfront-for-Outlook">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/228432648-Setting-Up-Workfront-for-Outlook -skye

Community Advisor
I've used the Outlook Integration to forward an email to the project (not an email that was previously received from that project). The integration button will let you choose whether the email goes to a Project, Task, or Issue. Then you can search for the name of the object you want to post it to.

Level 9
You can't CREATE an initial update via email, but if you receive a notification by email from Workfront and REPLY to it, your reply will be added as a reply to that update in the update thread. I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, but it is a bridge between email and Workfront. The Outlook Add In is not required for this to function. In our case, it does take a LONG time for the update to apply (literally 7-10 minutes), just something to be aware of. Alison Wells, MBA Senior Business Analyst Corporate Information Systems Business Systems Group Community Administrative Support Building (CASB) 2530 Divisadero St, Fresno, CA 93721 Office: (559) 459-7008, Internal: x57008 Cell/Pager: (559) 287-6800 - WARNING/CONFIDENTIAL: - This email, including attachments, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law (including, but not limited to, protected health information). It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized persons. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you believe this email was sent to you in error, do not read it. Reply to the sender informing them of the error and then destroy all copies and attachments of the message from your system. Thank you.

Community Advisor
With the Outlook Add-in though, you can create an update via email. I created this one in one of the projects I use for testing things. I posted it then went straight into the project and it was there, no waiting. There is however a character limit so if the email is lengthy you might have to choose what to delete before posting.

Level 1
I just tested this and my updates were posted immediately on the project - thanks for the assist! Anne Marie Dufresne Cooley LLP

Level 1
Worked perfectly and update was posted immediately! Thanks. Anne Marie Dufresne Cooley LLP

Level 4
Just a note here, I'm on a Mac and my Outlook Plug-in doesn't work on my desktop version of Outlook. I currently have a ticket open on this with this last update: Hi Lori, I'm the Tier 2 Support Engineer on Russell's team, I will be assisting him on this ticket as he is currently unavailable. We have been able to replicate this issue and it appears to be specific to the Outlook For Mac application. We have reached out to our development team and they are currently investigating this issue. As a current workaround, you should be able to utilize the Workfront app when using the online version of Outlook. Please let me know if you have any questions, otherwise, I will continue to keep you updated as our Development team investigate this issue further. Regards, Austin Lori Meek LifeChurch.tv

Level 2
Hi Anne, It's also important to note that using the lazy reply email address that it does NOT carry attachments from the email into WF. There is also no warning saying the attachment was not put into WF. Sarah Lemoncelli