Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Document Report

Level 5
Hi All, Need your genius thinking! I'm trying to write a report that will help inform me if the project managers are keeping up with their project documentation. So I started with a document report- pulling in all documents on a job- that is owned by a project manager or coordinator. And I was manually going to scan the documents to see if the following project contained: project brief, meeting notes and project debrief. However, when I go to group the report- I can group the documents by project- but NOT by program or portfolio. Is that because the object is twice removed??? If I can't get this report to work- do any of ya'll have any tips or tricks? Do you have a way to report out on the activity of project documentation? I don't think I want to add a custom form to the document- as that will give the PM's yet another thing to fill out- and I'm trying to be mindful of everything they are already doing. tks! Karen
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Karen. If I'm following: You've got a Document report in hand You can group by Project But you cannot group by project:portfolio:name, nor (then) by project:program:name, (and then presumably) by project:name When an object that I want to use is too many hops away in the data model (e.g. project:portfolio:name), I add custom data to pull it closer. Appreciating that you don't want to burden the PMs by forcing them to add a custom form to every document, there's still an opportunity here: create a custom calculated parameter on the Project called "ProjectPortfolio" with a formula of "Portfolio Name". That will pull the Portfolio "down" to the Project. Then, in your Document report, you can group by project:ProjectPortfolio. Rinse and repeat for Program, and you're home free. Now: the fine print. Don't name the special calculated parameter with the same name as a built in field (e.g. Portfolio): both Workfront and you will get confused on which is which Be aware that sometimes such data can get "stale", and be out of sync with the real data In such cases, a recalculation of the custom data usually corrects any discrepancies, which you can accomplish manually by doing a bulk recalculate custom expressions, on mass automatically using our Recalc Helper solution, or even on a scheduled basis (e.g. nightly) using our Double-Recalc Custom Parameter Values solution Good luck with it! Regards, Doug

Level 5
Doug to the rescue!!!! thanks. I'm somewhat remedial. I just tried to do this- and it didn't work- did you list all the steps involved? I went to the training section to try to read up on it- but couldn't find anything to help me :( tks Karen

Level 10
Hi Karen. This blog post explains the approach in a bit more detail. If you still have questions, you're welcome to drop me an email. Regards, Doug