Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Do parent tasks not respect lag?

Level 10
hi, I have this question pending to support but I figured someone here might have a faster answer. If I have this situation, here are the resulting dates. Task 1, ASAP, predecessor=Task2 / fs / -10d = due 1/28/2019 Task 2, Must Finish On = due 2/10/2020 I think those are pretty correct (task 1 starts -- and is due -- 10 days before task 2 is due). If I put a parent task on top of that, I get this set of dates instead. Parent Task, ASAP = due 2/10/2020 --Task 1, ASAP, predecessor=Task2 / fs / -10d = due 2/10/2020 --Task 2, Must Finish On = due 2/10/2020 Why would just putting everything in a parent task suddenly result in a loss of lag time? I tried on a few different task constraints on the parent task but nothing logical would change the due date on Task 1 back to 1/28 -- it stays at 2/10 no matter what. -skye
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Skye, The Task Constraint of the Parent will definitely impact the dates. For me ASAP always works best and returns order to my world. Have you tried ASAP on the Parent Task Constraint? I know you said "nothing logical" would work, but I'm not sure if you consider ASAP as logical in this case �� . I tested it on our system and it does work in our instance. If it doesn't work sometimes outdenting and indenting (or just creating another parent task) can "jar something loose". Let me know if any of that works.

Level 10
haha yep, I should have been clear: I considered ASAP to be the logical choice on the parent. Outdented it shows one date and indented it shows the other. Recalc timelines doesn't fix it. I'll continue to wait on our ASE but if I bump into you at Leap I might show you. It's weird. -skye

Level 10
Hopefully they fix it or give you an answer before Leap �� . But yeah I'd love to see it or know the answer when you find it.