Expand my Community achievements bar.

Displaying/Formatting Parent and Child Tasks

Level 2
Hi All, I'm looking into the ability to format a view which I will then export to Excel. The core of what I am trying to do is to identify a few sets of tasks that I have in a long project, filter the view to only show those tasks, and then format those tasks for ease of reading when they move to an excel file. The view/export is of task sets for training modules that basically looks like this: Training Course 1 (Parent) - Task 1 (Child) - Task 2 (Child) - Task 3 (Child) - Task 4 (Child) I want to 1st filter the view to only show tasks that contain "Training Course", this works easily in text mode. Now the hard part, I also want to: -Also show child tasks of the parent tasks whose names meet the filter -Only show training courses which satisfy the numberofchildren>0 -Format the parent tasks to be bolded and a certain color -Format the child tasks to appear in a different color. (Maybe even another color after that based on the content of another DE: field) Has anyone shown tasks in a view using a structure akin to this? Thanks, John John Mitchell Eyefinity
3 Replies

Level 10
hi John, I recommend you take Workfront's Ascent report creation class. If I read your question correctly, this is two sets of work, one in your filter dropdown and the other in your view dropdown. Ascent can teach you more about when to use each option. There's no text mode knowledge necessary for this. In your filter dropdown, you would set up 2 sets, and Ascent can help you with those. 1) filter on task name contains training course AND number of children > 0 [this will find your parent tasks] 2) filter on parent name contains training course. [this will find your child tasks where the parent is called training course... was this what you wanted, or do you also want the child tasks to have a constraint that they not have children? i.e. number of children = 0] Add the "OR" between the two sets of filters above. In your view dropdown, under advanced options, you would add two rules for your column. 1) Task number of children = 0 would be formatted in one way 2) Task number of children > 0 would be formatted a different way. Workfront's reporting wizard is pretty good at leading you through the advanced options, but the reporting creation class is also quite excellent, if you haven't yet accessed it. -skye

Level 2
Skye, Thanks for the recommendation. What you laid out looks like it will work, and I'll definitely look up the Ascent class. We're finally getting sophisticated enough to use more than just the basic functionality. -John John Mitchell Eyefinity

Level 7
Hey John, Due to the unique nature of our reporting and exporting is difficult to show parent/child relationships, we actually have a help article that shows how to use text mode to show how many 'levels' deep a relationship goes: https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Export-the-Task-List-with-Child-Tasks-Indented-24382374 I'd recommend exploring that in addition to what Skye suggested. =) All the best, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront