Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Critical path in Workfront - how does it work?

Level 1
Critical path in Workfront - how does it work?
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 10
Hi: There is an attribute on the task called “IS CRITICAL”. It tells you whether that particular task is on the critical path or not. WorkFront calculates the critical path correctly, btw, I’ve found an error in how it determines what is and what is not on the critical path. I have a filter that shows me all of the tasks that are on the Critical Path. If you are looking at the Tasks for a project, and click the icon on the far right to see the Gantt Chart, you can drop the options menu and show the critical path on the Gantt. I find that pretty handy. I won’t explain Critical Path, but for those that aren’t as familiar with it, this is a reasonable explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_path_method I use Critical path to tell me what tasks I really need to pay attention to. If something goes wrong with a task on the critical path, the Go-Live date is in jeopardy. Non-critical path tasks have slack time, and therefore can take a higher degree of duration change than a task on the critical path. What specifically would you like to know about the critical path? Eric

Level 2
I have come to realize that WF uses the projected completion date (and not the planned completion date) to identify the critical path. This does not match the on-line help. It also means that the % complete can impact the critical path. Since % complete is so subjective (and requires a high level of effort to keep up to date), I am concerned about how the use of the projected completion date impacts a PM's ability to monitor the real critical path. Have you found any ways to manage / mitigate these challenges? Thanks Carlos

Level 10
Egads, man! Say it isn’t so! I have on my list of things to do - find out how Critical Path works in WorkFront. What facts led you to discover they use Projected Completion not Planned Completion? I agree - the Help article https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216606638-Critical-Path only refers to Planned dates. Tell us more! Eric

Level 2
In looking at an active project, the identified critical path did not make sesnse to me so I went to my sandbox to experiment. I noticed that the slack date was tied to the projected completion date and the is critical flag. I tested my theory by modifying my project so that 2 paths were similar in length and then playing with the % complete to move the projected completion dates in and out. The critical path flag adjusted based on whiich projected completion date was further out. I have seen other posts stating that the slack date does not work correctly and that WF does not plan to fix the bug, but I have not found a detailed explanation of that defect or of the impact to the critical path functionality. I don't know if the bug is the issue I am describing above or something different. Would really like to hear if others are experiencing the same thing. I would think that a defect impacting the critical path functionality would be a really big deal in a project management application.

Level 10
Thanks for the details. Yes, we use the Critical Path. I’ve had PMs recently tell me that the Critical Path doesn’t make sense to them. I have it on my list to do, essentially, what you have already done. I don’t think using Projected Dates, which use percent complete, is in alignment with PMI standards or any other standard I am familiar with. I’m sure I’m going to hear “Its working as designed” when I call Tech Support this afternoon ☺ Thanks for the analysis, Carlos! Eric

Level 2
I posted my question to the global forum in an attempt to engage a broader audience. I apologize for the duplication. Let’s use that thread to continue the discussion. Hopefully we can get some additional insights from other users. Thanks Carlos

Level 3
I know this is an old thread, but I want the critical path to reflect the projected dates. I have several paths in a large project that are within a couple days of being on the critical path. When some of the activities experience delays, I need to be able to see the shift and focus my attention on the path that now needs more attention. By the way: Tools like Microsoft Project also show the critical path based on the latest information. Therese

Level 10
Thanks for posting on this one Therese, I remember seeing it back in the day and thinking "huh: I should learn more about Critical Path." Then a squirrel ran past my window, and...well, you can guess the rest. Especially because a new client and I had a "float" debate this week (remind me to tell you about "Crumple Zone" at LEAP), off into help.workfront.com I went tonight. Here's what I learned : "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216606638-Understanding-the-Critical-Path">Understanding Critical Path asserts: Taking these features into consideration, the system calculates the Critical Path by using the longest path between the earliest task and the task that determines the end of the project. The Critical Path Calculation takes into account what is the earliest and latest time that each task can start and finish by without making the project longer. This process determines which tasks are "critical" (and belong to the longest path) and which ones have "total float" (can be delayed without making the project longer). Any delay in the activity of a task on the Critical Path directly impacts the Planned Completion Date of the project (there is no float on the critical path). So to me, any Task which if delayed or stretched would impact the Project's completion date would by definition be a Critical Task, and on the Critical Path. "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216636478-Understanding-the-Slack-Date-of-a-Task">Understanding the Slack Date asserts: The Slack Date displays the exact date when a task could definitely impact the Completion Date of the project. The Slack Date is different than the Projected Completion Date, as the predecessor relationships and task constraints increase the slack time. For tasks that are on the Critical Path of the project, the Slack Date matches the Projected Completion Date of the task unless the Progress Status of the task is already Late or Behind. Not (as I recall) ever having added the Slack Date to a view before, I did so (along with the Projected Completion Date and Is Critical built in parameter), then created a very simple Project starting next Monday (i.e. in the future) at 8am (i.e. the beginning of the Work Day, according to my 8 hour per day Workfront Default Schedule), with with three Tasks: Task 1, ASAP, 1 Hour Task 2, ASAP, 1 Hour, with a Predecessor of 1fs (so, Task 1 "pushes") Task 3, ASAP, 1 Hour The results in the view made sense: Task 1 Projected Completion Date (9am), Is Critical = True Task 2 Projected Completion Date (10am), Is Critical = True Task 3 Projected Completion Date (9am), Is Critical = False I then bumped up Task 3 by half an hour, and again, the results made sense to me: Task 1 Projected Completion Date (9am), Is Critical = True Task 2 Projected Completion Date (10am), Is Critical = True Task 3 Projected Completion Date ( 9:30am ), Is Critical = False I then moved Task 3 up to two hours, matching the sum of Task 1 and Task 2, and the results in the view made sense; both paths became critical: Task 1 Projected Completion Date (9am), Is Critical = True Task 2 Projected Completion Date (10am), Is Critical = True Task 3 Projected Completion Date ( 10am ), Is Critical = True Penultimately, I set Task 3 to three hours, exceeding the sum of Task 1 and Task 2, and something interesting didn't happen -- the 1 and 2 path stayed Critical: Task 1 Projected Completion Date (9am), Is Critical = True Task 2 Projected Completion Date (10am), Is Critical = True Task 3 Projected Completion Date ( 11am ), Is Critical = True Finally, I recalultated the timeline, and then things aligned as I expected: Task 1 Projected Completion Date (9am), Is Critical = False Task 2 Projected Completion Date (10am), Is Critical = False Task 3 Projected Completion Date (11am), Is Critical = True That told me that until the timeline is recalculated, the Critical Path could be "stale": Never being one to not try the unobvious (or use quatruple negatives to convolute a thought), I then shortened Task 3 back to 1 hour, and was not surprised...until I thought about the ramifications for reporting: Task 1 Projected Completion Date (9am), Is Critical = False Task 2 Projected Completion Date (10am), Is Critical = False Task 3 Projected Completion Date ( 9am ), Is Critical = False So: that demonstrates that it is possible to have a Project with NO Critical Path shown (albeit temporarily, until the timeline recalculates). The punchline? FOR BEST RESULTS, RECALC TIMELINES EARLY AND OFTEN. As an aside, at this point, you might want to consider: refreshing your memory on how Timelines get "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217240367-Recalculating-Timelines-for-Projects">automatically or manually calculated; and using our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/recalc-helper/">Recalc Helper solution to perform manual recalculations of Custom Data, Finances, or Timelines using a filter; and using our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/force-timeline-recalculation/">Force Timeline Recalculation to do likewise, but also on a Scheduled basis (e.g. in addition to the "nightlies") Along the way, I also made one other interesting observation -- the Slack Date is (as it's named, so presumably As Designed) a DATE, which I proved by switching its column in my view to text mode and using this to reveal its underlying "always midnight" aspect: valuefield=slackDate linkedname=direct valueformat= longAtDate displayname= namekey=slackDate textmode=true querysort=slackDate Recalling waaaaaay back up again, since: " The Slack Date displays the exact date when a task could definitely impact the Completion Date of the project." I suspect there are scenarios (untested) where the DATETIME nature of the Projected Date and DATE nature of the Slack Date could conflict in a manner that gives unexpected results from an "Is Critical" perspective. I will leave the latter for the next Adventure Ranger to scout through. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads -------------