Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!
SOLVED

Creating recurring requests in WF (bulk import template?)

Level 1
Level 1

We have many recurring projects that we don't want to enter into Workfront and create manually every week. For example:

Every Monday, project A is due

Every Tue, Wed, Thu, project B is due

The 1st Fri of the month, project C is due

Instead of manually creating a request for each project, what is the best way to create the request once and have it set to recurring? Each project will be assigned to an individual member of our team.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi LS007, 

There may be a couple ways to go about this depending on your processes, reporting, and what's important for your instance. 

Option 1: Streamline and Efficient

Fusion! If you have Fusion you can set up a scenario to submit your requests for you. One scenario can submit for all three examples you presented. If you don't have Fusion, you can use your business case to build a reason to bring it on. 

Option 2: Lite Manual Lift

Copy your requests from the Request page. Any request you've made can be copied using all the information that was in the original request. Any information that needs to be updated would only need to be changed (maybe Due Date, etc.). 

Option 3: One Request to Rule Them All

Create a request form for recurring projects through a desired period of time. i.e. Annual, quarter, bi-monthly, etc. Then build all projects at one time. Note on this, only one project will link back to the original request. If reporting is necessary for this, you may have to find another way to report against the effort. i.e. name each project similarly and look for that. i.e. 2023 Newsletter - Jan, 2023 Newsletter - Feb, etc.

Option 4: One Request to One Recurring Project

Create a recurring project from the one request noted above. In the project, divide your schedule into the sections for the recurrences. i.e. Monday 1, Monday 2, Monday 3, etc. This option depends heavily on group participate and solid set up. But can be very effective for recurring projects with very little oversight. You can still assign each section to the desired user you want. 

I hope at least one of these options works for you or at least gets the gears turning on the different possibilities you have. 

Best,

Joaquin

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi LS007, 

There may be a couple ways to go about this depending on your processes, reporting, and what's important for your instance. 

Option 1: Streamline and Efficient

Fusion! If you have Fusion you can set up a scenario to submit your requests for you. One scenario can submit for all three examples you presented. If you don't have Fusion, you can use your business case to build a reason to bring it on. 

Option 2: Lite Manual Lift

Copy your requests from the Request page. Any request you've made can be copied using all the information that was in the original request. Any information that needs to be updated would only need to be changed (maybe Due Date, etc.). 

Option 3: One Request to Rule Them All

Create a request form for recurring projects through a desired period of time. i.e. Annual, quarter, bi-monthly, etc. Then build all projects at one time. Note on this, only one project will link back to the original request. If reporting is necessary for this, you may have to find another way to report against the effort. i.e. name each project similarly and look for that. i.e. 2023 Newsletter - Jan, 2023 Newsletter - Feb, etc.

Option 4: One Request to One Recurring Project

Create a recurring project from the one request noted above. In the project, divide your schedule into the sections for the recurrences. i.e. Monday 1, Monday 2, Monday 3, etc. This option depends heavily on group participate and solid set up. But can be very effective for recurring projects with very little oversight. You can still assign each section to the desired user you want. 

I hope at least one of these options works for you or at least gets the gears turning on the different possibilities you have. 

Best,

Joaquin