Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Counting Selections in a Checkbox Field

Level 4
For billing purposes I need to know how many languages are selected in a field called languages. So if English, French, Spanish is selected in my checkbox I need to know that there are 3 languages. I couldn't figure out a direct way to do this and think I remember a previous conversation about this. So I came up with a hack. So I have a calculated field called language count with the following formula: SUM(LEN(Languages),-LEN(Replace(Languages,", ",",")),IF(LEN(Languages)>0,1,0)) I'm replacing the normal syntax of a comma with a space with just the comma and subtracting the lengths of these 2 strings. Since either a blank or a single selection can have no commas, I just check if there is any values set and add 1. I'll simplify with A, B, C, D instead of longer names: So the Length of A, B, C, D is 10 The length of A,B,C,D is 7 10-7=3 If there is at least one element in the list add 1 So 10-7+1=4 -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -
3 Replies

Level 5
Do you know if there is a way to modify this to show the actual selections? I was told that there wasn't really a way to report on a multi-selection dropdown, but we totally need it. Any thoughts? Jazmin Allen-Collins Analog Devices, Inc.

Level 8
How many options are there in your multi-select list? You can make a series of calculated fields (in a section only visible for admins if necessary) for each option: Field: Language A IF(Contains("A",Languages),"A") Field: Language B IF(Contains("B",Languages),"B") Or depending on your need you might prefer to use numbers Field: Language A IF(Contains("A",Languages),1,0) Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 4
If you are looking to group by a checkbox field, you can't do that directly. What I usually do is create a field that captures the value of the checkbox field like CheckboxA CheckboxA_ (my notation for a display field) = CheckboxA - This sometimes puts the list items in a different orders if more then one is selected so if I want to simplify CheckboxA_ = IF(CONTAINS(",",CheckboxA),"Multiple",CheckboxA) Checkboxes are stored as comma separated lists (so don't use commas in your values!) so if there is a comma more than 1 option was selected. Shoutout to Adina Pierce for coming up with that syntax (or at least showing it to me). -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -