Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Conditional Formatting Reports in Text Mode

Level 2
Hi there, We are new to Workfront and I'm currently setting up project reporting for our company. I have a report that uses coding in text mode to pull my project task due dates into the report. I want to be able to set up some kind of conditional formatting that would mark the cell to show the task as complete (gray out the cell, change the text color, etc.). The problem I'm having is that when you switch from standard mode to text mode you loose the ability to do conditional formatting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could do this? I'm attaching a screen shot of my report so you can see how I have the task due dates setup. Thanks! Ed Kalix Reser's Fine Foods
1 Reply

Level 10

Hi Ed,

When you add conditional formatting (or even Advanced Settings) to a column, the instructions you set are actually being recorded under the hood in text mode. To see it in action, add a column, flip it to textmode, then add that very same column again, add a conditional formatting rule, change the second column to text mode, then observe the "new lines" that were added: that's the conditional formatting part. With each conditional rule added, more corresponding rows in textmode are generated. In most cases, you can in fact flip back to standard mode and the conditional rules will be properly presented in standard mode again (even if, for example, you replaced some of the color codes with hex values you prefer, which I often do -- see a list of my favorites, below, from back in the day).

Once you're aware of that cause and effect, you can use it to your advantage. When you find yourself with your "real" column already in textmode and (for some reason) not wanting (or able) to return to standard mode, but wanting to add conditional formatting, one handy technique is to add that second column temporarily again (in standard mode), build the conditional formatting rules you wish, flip it to to textmode, copy (only) the conditional formatting lines (which, in time, start looking familiar, as a block), paste them into the real column, and drop the second column.

Regards,

Doug

(Standard)

GREEN = 8EFF8E

YELLOW = FFFF8E

RED = FF8E8E

BLUE = 8EB3FF

GREY = D3D3D3

WHITE = FFFFFF

(Lighter)

GREEN2 = DBFFDB

YELLOW2 = FFFFC1