Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Check box custom form field- grouping in chart report

Level 3

I recently updated a custom form field from radio buttons to check boxes and now the chart is not functioning in the report. It is showing "no value." Is there a way to get the chart to work with the new custom form field that is has check boxes?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Multi-select fields like checkbox fields don’t natively work in charts. What I’ve done in the past as a workaround is creating a calculated text field in the same custom form that automatically captures and concats the selected options in your checkbox field. Then you’d use that calculated field in your report instead of the ‘actual’ checkbox fields. This works because WF sees the calc field data as a single unit/answer to group by. 
A big downside to this to point out: if you have many checkbox field options this can get tricky. Since every answer combination is seen as a grouping, you will have answers show in multiple groupings. Example:

If you have checkbox options for project type - if you have project as email and social, and another project as social and website asset, social will show in both groupings in your report. So if you have a lot of options and many multi-answer projects, every scenario present will show as a grouping/bar in a chart.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Multi-select fields like checkbox fields don’t natively work in charts. What I’ve done in the past as a workaround is creating a calculated text field in the same custom form that automatically captures and concats the selected options in your checkbox field. Then you’d use that calculated field in your report instead of the ‘actual’ checkbox fields. This works because WF sees the calc field data as a single unit/answer to group by. 
A big downside to this to point out: if you have many checkbox field options this can get tricky. Since every answer combination is seen as a grouping, you will have answers show in multiple groupings. Example:

If you have checkbox options for project type - if you have project as email and social, and another project as social and website asset, social will show in both groupings in your report. So if you have a lot of options and many multi-answer projects, every scenario present will show as a grouping/bar in a chart.

Community Advisor

Hi,

Madalyn is spot on with her advice. Here's a couple of additional reference points that might help you along the way.

This previous post on Experience League provides some text mode examples that you can use/adjust for your own purposes.

This article on experience league contains help documentation and instructions.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Rich.

Community Advisor

Thanks for adding that, Richard. I was answering on my phone and wasn’t able to dig around for text mode help!