Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Character Counts for Text Fields

Level 3

Is anyone aware of character counts being a usable feature? I have a user wondering if it is possible to have Workfront count the number of characters in fields and display this information. All I seem to be able to find is related to character restrictions/limts.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi,

unfortunately that is not possible. I'm eagerly awaiting the ability to apply some JavaScript functions and CSS formatting to custom forms. But I doubt that this is on the roadmap at the moment.

Perhaps you should submit this as an idea.

Regards

Lars

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi,

unfortunately that is not possible. I'm eagerly awaiting the ability to apply some JavaScript functions and CSS formatting to custom forms. But I doubt that this is on the roadmap at the moment.

Perhaps you should submit this as an idea.

Regards

Lars

Community Advisor

In custom forms, we use the paragraph text field instead of the single line text field for areas we need to see character counts when inputting data. Personally I wish we could customize these to max out at different numbers but it's at least something we can visually see and coach on.

KellieGardner_0-1695308601461.png

I also recently created a report for fields where we need to be cognizant of the counts for reporting purposes and it houses the character counts and flags them if they are over the count. 

KellieGardner_2-1695308806970.png

Employee

@KellieGardner How do you get the warning message to appear in the column?

I am trying to report on {lastNote} to show the number of characters in the last written update (for a quick eyeball of the quality of update) and I am getting either "0" or "50" using the calculated field LEN({lastNote}). Interestingly LEN({lastNote}.{project}) returns a slightly different value.