Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!
SOLVED

changing the project template of record

Level 5

Is it possible to change the template listed under the Project Relationships section of the Overview?  I know it's not possible to change it directly from the Overview; I also tried changing one via Fusion, and while no error was thrown, it also didn't update the template.

On occasion we have projects where the workflow is switched after a project has already launched.  Rather than launch a new project from a different template (presumably to avoid having to copy over metadata in custom forms), some folks are deleting the existing task list and using the Attach Template option to add the updated workflow.

This creates issues when I try creating reports/views that filter on the project template used.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

you probably know there's six ways to do everything in Workfront, and it's not to say that this is the best way, but the way we do it is to have a task in every template that, if created within a project, will trigger an automation that records the template it came from, and then delete the task. (Obviously if your users are attaching very specific template tasks and not this one task, the automation would not trigger... so there's the catch.) In this way, we can catch all the template attachments which prevents us from accidentally deleting templates that are only being attached as a secondary or tertiary process.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

hi, this isn't possible to change. I think probably just figure out a way to do a scenario to write something to a custom form every time another template gets attached. And then use that field to filter by.

Level 5

That's a thought.  I see a way to attach a template through Fusion, but I don't see a way for attaching a template to serve as a trigger.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

you probably know there's six ways to do everything in Workfront, and it's not to say that this is the best way, but the way we do it is to have a task in every template that, if created within a project, will trigger an automation that records the template it came from, and then delete the task. (Obviously if your users are attaching very specific template tasks and not this one task, the automation would not trigger... so there's the catch.) In this way, we can catch all the template attachments which prevents us from accidentally deleting templates that are only being attached as a secondary or tertiary process.

Community Advisor

Hi there, it's not possible to change the template name listed in Overview (or from anywhere else) but if you're looking to understand what templates are used in projects, here's a way from a report, I think this thread may be helpful for you.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )