Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Can you set up alerts for people with whom a project is shared but for which they have no tasks?

Level 3

Use Case:

We use issues from a central project to spin off repetitive projects that recur every few weeks or months. We grant access to a PM team so they have access/insight into these projects via reporting. When the issue is converted to a project, the PM team is successfully added with View capabilities. The ask is to have them get an alert when one of these projects goes live.

In looking at the alert settings, it looks like you either have to be in the "People" section or be assigned to a task for the "alert me when a project is open and active" notification to kick in.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, you have to do a little workaround. Assign the people you want to be shared the projects with to a fake task in the template, then you'll see they're added to the People section. Delete the fake task and they'll stay showing in the People section. The other option above which is easier is just adjust the Project Sharing on the template:

Madalyn_Destafney_0-1686057274286.png

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

People can get notified about projects going into Current without getting assigned to tasks, you have that correct. You have a couple options:
- Add these people in the 'project sharing' from the appropriate project templates so that every time a project is created with these templates, they are 'on' the project/it's shared with them
- Add these people to the People tab of a project, like you said. 
- Then they'll need to turn on the notification below in their profile to get the notification:

Madalyn_Destafney_0-1685997670545.png

If you found this helpful, please mark as correct to help others : )

Level 3

Hi Madalyn:

I tried adding the users to the People section of the Template, but it appears to be derived from task assignments with no ability to manually add people in the template without task assignments, only subsequently created projects. Is there something I'm missing?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, you have to do a little workaround. Assign the people you want to be shared the projects with to a fake task in the template, then you'll see they're added to the People section. Delete the fake task and they'll stay showing in the People section. The other option above which is easier is just adjust the Project Sharing on the template:

Madalyn_Destafney_0-1686057274286.png

Community Advisor

@RyanMcGee do you have other questions on this? If this is what you're looking for, please mark correct to help others : ) Thank you!