Can someone please share some clarity on backlog requests (that go into the kanban).
I have the team set to 'automatically add next story from backlog' so i understand by default each new request goes into backlog.
1. Why would it not just go into 'New' in the Kanban board?
2. I'm not following on it only being moved into New / a different category status. Is it a one in one out situation? When a request goes to complete any request from backlog then gets moved from the backlog.
Do you have your board columns set up to automatically move cards into it based on status? You can filter in what comes into a board/intake, but from the intake to go to a column automatically needs to have column settings set up.
Yes, my boards are set up to automatically moved cards based on the requests status'.
but I don't understand why some sit in the backlog if the status has changed or why they even go into the backlog in the first place?
Tasks/Issues (or stories/requests) go into a backlog if they're in a Current project assigned to an Agile team. From there you can assign those items in a backlog to an iteration. I think these 2 articles may be helpful for you:
- Configure the backlog on a workstream board
- Or if you're not using a workstream board - add an intake column to a board
It sounds like you have your intake set up but you may get some nuggets in there. Cards fall off when they're completed unless you have a specific Complete status column.
- If your questions are more around backlogs themselves, this article may be helpful for you: manage the agile backlog. They are going into the backlog in the first place bc they're assigned to an agile team.