Expand my Community achievements bar.

Calendar Reporting

Level 3
We are having trouble viewing projects by the planned or projected dates. We have projects where a product, promotion or event is launched but the planned completion/projected completion dates are based on the project being completely done. Well there are several steps that take place after the project launch so it's hard for us to create a calendar view using projected/planned dates. Any suggestions on what we can do? It would be ideal if we could create a report that displays projects by the launch date so we can see a realistic overview. Ashley Thomas
10 Replies

Level 10
Is there a task in that project that indicates the launch date? if so -- and if you only need that launch date -- I would suggest that these tasks are either named in a specific way or somehow identified in the system. You can then use a custom name that is the name of the project that the task is in. -skye

Level 3
We currently use a custom form that includes that launch date, but no task that specifies the launch date. Ashley Thomas Marketing: Marketing Manager, Digital First Tech Federal Credit Union 503.671.1441 Tel 503.567.0806 Mobile "firsttechfed.com"> firsttechfed.com
The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not an intended recipient or if you have received this message in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail or telephone if the sender's phone number is listed above, then promptly and permanently delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation and consideration.

Level 10
ah, that's a tough one since Workfront calendars do not currently operate off custom fields. You're specifically looking to tie it into the planned completion date of a project, task or issue. It's fair and not unusual for most project planned completion dates to go past the launch date, but that means you're looking to tie it into a task or an issue planned completion date instead. Is this something you can get your users to adopt? I've had pretty good luck on both fronts: my teams have either agreed to use a task as a launch date or an issue. The issue one has been particularly nice, since I've set it up as a request queue in the project so that when they select "Create calendar entry" it gives them everything they need to set it up: planned start and completion dates (our events operate on duration, not one single date) and locations to pick from. The other thing the issue option helped is: it gave the Project owner the ability to state multiple entries (multiple events per project), and it keeps those entries out of the way of the actual project task timeline, so there's no clutter. On the other hand, I have had events teams who specifically want their launch date IN their project timeline so they can set predecessors around this date: and that's fine as well! It's all about what your teams are willing to do and how the options benefit them. -skye

Level 3
Thanks Skye, you've given me a few things to think about! Ashley Thomas Marketing: Marketing Manager, Digital First Tech Federal Credit Union 503.671.1441 Tel 503.567.0806 Mobile "firsttechfed.com"> firsttechfed.com
The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not an intended recipient or if you have received this message in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail or telephone if the sender's phone number is listed above, then promptly and permanently delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation and consideration.

Level 4
I'm having the same issue around the calendar. I wanted to create an events calendar and an email launch calendar. I have tasks associated with the live date for each of them. However, if the email is scheduled early, we'd like to close it out, but then the calendar view messes up and it shows the email launched a day early. Same with events, however we just tend to close that task out later. Skye -- I'm interested in how you have the request queue set up in the project - I don't currently have anything set up like that and would like to see what that looks like. Not sure it's going to solve my issue though. Tara Carey

Level 10
hi Tara yes, you're correct. Nothing is going to solve your problem, unless you train your users to go back into their task and manually correct the actual completion date. Since I don't like that solution, I usually just make sure my reports don't show completed tasks, or at least show them in a different color. Here's the info you're looking for: how request queues behave in a project. https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Understanding-the-Queue-Details-Tab-in-a-Project-Issue-Fo... -skye

Level 9
Ashley - we have a similar issue. We send emails on a certain date, but other tasks complete after that. We need to track by send date. I created a calendar that pulled in the milestone task that has the send date as the due date. In this way, we can still see when these are due, even if the project date is different.

Level 6
Hello Ashley, We had kind of a similar situation where we only wanted certain people to see certain tasks. What I did was added a custom field called "Calendar View Options" and the PMs select which tasks they want to show on their calendars. For your scenario, you can add tasks to capture the details you need, and you can add a custom field like I did which will allow you to only show the planned dates you want the calendar to show. Let me know if that makes sense. Thanks Tim Brooks Invicro

Level 2
Skye - To tack on to this calendar question... are you able to print a calendar of a team's TIME OFF ? We are struggling to find a way to see each other's TIME OFF we enter and would really like to know if there's a way to do a calendar report that would pull it together? Sharon Sharon Flynn University of Virginia Health System

Level 10
I don't have time-off reports myself (we don't use them here), but I did walk through Josh Hardman's excellent video when they were bringing out this functionality, and I don't think I can improve on his instructions. Have you followed through this to build your calendar, or are you specifically having issues printing the calendar out? https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/2019-3-Project-enhancements-1332102832?language=en_US&r=4... If that above link doesn't work, just go in through here and follow the "time off calendar" links in that article: https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/2019-3-Release-Activity-Overview-1993224231 -skye