Expand my Community achievements bar.

Best Practices for Confidential Projects?

Level 9

We have for the most part setup our confidential projects adequately via:

• The group on projects is set separately to n/a, so no group access is being shared
  • There is a separate 'company' for confidential projects
  • We have a separate portfolio for confidential projects
  • Inherited permissions are removed from projects.

Two questions - how can you grant access to CREATE a confidential project without giving access to existing projects. Also, how does confidentiality in documents on those projects work?

i.e. if we searched for 'Perkins' and there's a document with Perkins in the title (or the content) - would it come up in search results?

My dilemma here is we have a planner that would like to setup a confidential project. She cannot access the confidential portfolio to change it to that setting in the project. If I share the portfolio with her, she can suddenly see ALL of the other confidential projects within that portfolio.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Christina,

It sounds like each user/group needs their own "confidential" portfolio or program within an overall "confidential" portfolio that they're allowed to see.

Thanks,

Narayan

Community Advisor

I wonder if it would help to create an empty template (empty of all settings -- except for the portfolio having been set) and have the user attach that template last. Hopefully the portfolio would attach to their project without them having to do anything to it (and no other setting in the project will change).

We have a similar situation going on where I work but a bit wider spread. We ended up going with a fusion automation that would place the projects in the right portfolio based on certain fields. But I think for this small case, if all it is is " I need this project in this portfolio "... you might just try that and see if it would work.

Level 2

I have a similar question, is there are way to turn off inherited permissions in Portfolios? I need my team to be able to create a project and assign a portfolio to it, but NOT view all of the other projects in the portfolio. However, I cannot expect that everyone will remember to delete inherited permission on every project every time.

Any suggestions?

Community Advisor

can they remember to assign a portfolio AND a program? I would probably remove inherited permissions at the program level and this is the permission set that the project would then inherit.