Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Behavior and notifications for tasks assigned to teams

Level 2

I need some help understanding how to structure a workflow for teams that self-assign work. I'm trying to set up a process where when Task A is completed, the Design Team gets notified that Task B is ready to start. Somebody from the Design Team would then assign the task to themself along with the rest of the tasks in that project for the Design role.

I've tried experimenting with assigning tasks to teams in Workfront, but it seems like the team only gets notified when the project is activated and they do NOT get notified when any task predecessors are complete.

How would I build this in Workfront?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

There is a notification setting in Workfront called "Task Completion To Task Dependents on Assigned Team" that will send a notification to the team when the predecessor of a task that they are assigned to is completed. The notification can be found under the "Information About Work Assigned To Me" section in the notification settings.

As long as this notification is turned on for each of the users in each team, they should be automatically notified when predecessors of tasks they are responsible for are completed. 

You may also consider building a report/dashboard or a custom filter, that filters based on "Can Start" (see here for more info on this attribute). Using this filter, the report/view will only show tasks where all predecessors have been completed and are therefore ready to start. From here, the team would get a holistic view of all tasks that are ready to be picked up where they can self assign as appropriate.

Hope this helps! Please shout if you have any questions. 

Best Regards,

Rich. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

There is a notification setting in Workfront called "Task Completion To Task Dependents on Assigned Team" that will send a notification to the team when the predecessor of a task that they are assigned to is completed. The notification can be found under the "Information About Work Assigned To Me" section in the notification settings.

As long as this notification is turned on for each of the users in each team, they should be automatically notified when predecessors of tasks they are responsible for are completed. 

You may also consider building a report/dashboard or a custom filter, that filters based on "Can Start" (see here for more info on this attribute). Using this filter, the report/view will only show tasks where all predecessors have been completed and are therefore ready to start. From here, the team would get a holistic view of all tasks that are ready to be picked up where they can self assign as appropriate.

Hope this helps! Please shout if you have any questions. 

Best Regards,

Rich. 

Level 2

Thanks for the quick response, Rich! That notification setting sounds like exactly what I'm looking for... except it's not available in my Workfront instance. I thought I had somehow missed it, but I looked after reading your message and it wasn't there. I'll try checking with our system admin about that, but in the meantime I'll continue working on some reports/dashboards along the lines of what you described. I had started in that direction but it's good to know that it's a viable option.

Jen Lum

Workfront group adminstrator

Learning A-Z

Level 2

Update: I was looking in the wrong place! I was looking in the notification settings via my own profile, but I found it in Main Menu > Setup > Email > Notifications > Information about Work Assigned to Me. Thanks again, Rich!

Jen Lum

Workfront group administrator

Learning A-Z