Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Baseline Task report

Level 10
Hi I am in desperate need to figure out how to report on tasks Baseline vs Actual. I have the setup to automatically create a baseline for every project and include it in all templates. Yet, I can't seem to get a report by Task. I've tried searching everywhere, I've tried to create a Baseline Report, I've tried some custom columns that are found in the Help section, none of this is giving me what I need to see where tasks are slipping and who is responsible for those tasks. Very simply what I want is this: when a project turns from Planned to Current the baseline should be set for all tasks in the project. Then I want a report with these columns: Filter by Portfolio + Status=Complete Columns: Project Name Task Name Planned Completion Date from the Baseline Actual Completion Date Assigned To: Name Any help I could get on this would be huge for me. Thanks! Jill Ackerman
19 Replies

Level 4
If I'm reading what you want correctly, you should try using a TASK report with a column for "Default Baseline Task: Planned Completion Date" and a field for "Actual Completion Date". I believe the default baseline task object points at the most recent baseline taken by default. James Bender Jackson/JTS

Level 10
Hi Jill, Further to James' suggestion, here's a "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217517647-View-Baseline-Variance-for-Duration-and-Planned-Work-in-a-Task-View">help article from which you can snitch the report view. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
THANK YOU! I'm a little excited so I haven't fully vetted this yet but I'm pretty sure the answer was TASK REPORT. I'm not even going to backtrack what I did before, but this seems like it's right. Now the hard part – how to get people to 1-abide their deadlines and 2-mark things done when they are done.

Level 10
One more question. I'm trying to make a calculated column in the report and I've tried a few ways from the Help area but none are working. Can anyone tell me where this is wrong? I want the difference in days between the two dates in my report: Default Baseline Task: Planned Completion Date and Actual Completion Date. displayname=Planned Completion Variance textmode=true valueexpression=WEEKDAYDIFF({defaultBaselineTask:plannedCompletionDate},{actualCompletionDate}) valueformat=HTML Thanks! Jill Ackerman

Level 4
How about WEEKDAYDIFF({defaultBaselineTask}.{plannedCompletionDate},{actualCompletionDate}). James Bender Jackson/JTS

Level 10
That was it! Thank you so much! Jill Ackerman

Level 10
Just to add one more thing that I wasn't able to find in the Help screens in case anybody is interested in this topic, which isn't well documented that I can find. When you set the Project from Planning to Current the Baseline is set and doesn't change no matter what you do to the plan. However, if you change it back to Planning, make changes, and then Current, the Baseline changes to the latest Plan, so you lose your original Baseline. I believe (haven't tried it) there is a way to add a new baseline so the original baseline remains, but I need to spend more time playing with this to understand how that works and then how to select the original Baseline field for the report. Jill Ackerman

Level 1
Jill, I actually just did this on a project. If you go into the "more" tab and choose baseline, you can add a new baseline. Then you can set a default. I was playing around with reports and the report will pull off the baseline default. That might work for what you are trying to do. Carrie Nunemaker Arkansas Administrative Office of the Courts

Level 10
Thank you! That piece of information will save me a lot of time! Now I have to train admins to do a new baseline every time they do a big adjustment to a project. What I really wish for is the ability to choose to temporarily turn off notifications so that you can adjust a project without sending out new notifications to everyone. Jill

Level 1
I completely agree with that suggestion! I've freaked my share of people out when adjusting project plans! lol Carrie Nunemaker Arkansas Administrative Office of the Courts

Level 10
are you talking about task notifications? Can you just put the project back into setup status and make it active when you're done adjusting? Just use any of the below statuses that equate to not active? "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216668548-Understanding-Project-Statuses" title="https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216668548-Understanding-Project-Statuses">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216668548-Understanding-Project-Statuses -skye

Level 10
I don't have Setup status but I'm guessing it's the same as Planning. When I put the project into Planning and then back to Current the baseline resets to the new plan (which means we lose the original plan and he entire reason to replan is because it's so late that the project needs new deadines) and then means we have to manually set a new baseline and make the old baseline the default. The good part is by doing that the notifications don't go out (except that horrible "Your project is now Current" which makes everyone crazy because they always thought it was Current and can't figure out why I am relaunching it) but the bad part is that the baseline has to be redone. So either way, it's not ideal. Jill Ackerman

Level 10
yep, that's it: find a status (per the help page) that won't send out notifications and use that one. But you are right: there's definitely a compromise there between baselines and getting notifications. You have to pick your poison. -skye

Level 10
Hi I can't see how you can change the default Baseline. I put my project into Planning, while in Planning added a new baseline and it asked if it should be default. I did not check the box. Then I made the project current and a third baseline was created and it automatically became the default without asking. I don't see any way to edit the baseline. I suppose I could delete the 2 newest baselines, but that seems kind of odd too. Jill Ackerman

Level 10
@Jill Ackerman , if you are in the baseline tab and in the Standard View, just click twice on the default baseline cell for that row -- one to select it, and the second one to change it. (just like regular inline editing) -skye

Level 10
Weirdly it just doesn't work for me. I'm going to call support about this. Thanks!

Level 10
Oh wait I missed the part about Standard View. Ah ha!! THANK YOU. Jill

Level 5
Hi Jill, I made the report....but, when i switch to standard view the baseline tab disappears - am i missing something here? Thanks in advance! Miranda Rais GVC

Level 10
I made a Task Report and used columns and one calculated column. I filtered by Actual Completion Date is Greater Than a certain date so I wouldn't see too many old things, Complete Projects only and where Parent ID is not blank (to eliminate those parent tasks that don't have assignments) Project: Name Parent Task Name Baseline Planned Completion Date Actual Completion Date Assigned to: Name Planned Completion Variance -- Text mode: displayname=Planned Completion Variance textmode=true valueexpression=WEEKDAYDIFF({defaultBaselineTask}.{plannedCompletionDate},{actualCompletionDate}) valueformat=HTML Jill Ackerman