Expand my Community achievements bar.

Assigning Tasks or Issues across multiple workfront instances

Level 2

Has anyone been involved with a Workfront project where you were able to assign tasks or issues or resources across multiple Workfront instances?  For example, Company A and Company B each run their own Workfront instance, and Company A wants to sometimes be able to assign someone from Company A to work on a Company B project task?  Thanks in advance if you have familiarity with an implementation like this.  I realize some people are going to respond that each company will need to go into the same, single Workfront instance. But if that is not possible, is there an example of someone using Workfront across multiple instances?

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Your assumption is correct that you can’t assign across instances, it’s based on users in your instance. So if you have folks working in both instances, they’d have to be a user in both instances. Have you considered having one instance with multiple Companies and/or Groups? I know a big undertaking but if you have users that need to interact frequently, they should be in same instance. 

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 2

Thank you.  I was hoping there might be some examples of implementations that used some middleware layer, possibly along with Fusion, to connect two Workfront instances.  

Community Advisor

Not that I know of because even if you have Fusion, you still have to have users in place in both instances…but interested to hear from Community if you have users in place in both and can assign from one to another across instances. I’d be surprised. We have Fusion and have another instance we’ll be merging into ours, if it was possible to connect them via fusion instead I bet they would have gone that route. You also save $ on renewals with just one instance instead of multiple…

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 2

Thanks again.  Unfortunately combining instances isn't an option in this case.

Level 10

We're also trying to figure out a good way to do this. We are starting to collaborate on projects across different agencies within Omnicom (our parent company) and combining several agencies that all work differently isn't feasible.