Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Arg: Is it possible to Filter for the next 3, 4, or 5 BUSINESS Days?

Level 10
I could use a second set of eyes, please (particularly yours, @Anthony Imgrund ) One of the little tricks I found a while back is that the constants that can be combined with $$TODAY on a Filter are additive; for example, you can Filter between $$TODAYbm and $$TODAYbm+3w to get the "the first three weeks of the current month" (not that I've found a need for that frivolous example...yet). However, I'm stumped on a requirement to filter from $$TODAY to the next 3, 4, or 5 BUSINESS days (skipping Saturdays and Sundays). The best I've come up with so far for the +3, +4, and +5 business days are as follows: {!$$TODAY+1w-2d} {!$$TODAY+1w-1d} {!$$TODAY+1w} However, in testing -- and as shown on the attached diagram -- the +3 and +4 day cases are each flawed in certain cases, either retrieving an extra day (which isn't too bad) or missing a day (which is unacceptable). As it is an intriguing challenge, I thought I would pose it to the community. I've drawn up a picture to illustrate the flaws, and attached it (along with the spreadsheet I used, in order to noodle around with it as I did) to this post. Does anyone have a brilliant solution I've overlooked before throw in the towel and solve it by cheating with some code tomorrow night? Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
possibly unrelated question: in the lag type section, Workfront distinguishes between working days (d) [which I read as business days] and calendar days (c) -- why doesn't that apply in this case?

Level 10
Thanks Skye, Interesting angle, but (yes) somewhat unrelated. For what I'm attempting to do -- find Tasks whose Planned Completion Date is between $$TODAY and +3 Business Days from now -- the concept of Lag is not a factor: only the Planned Completion Date falling within that range is of interest, whether it was ASAP, FIXT, SNET, etc...or Lagged, via "C" or "D". From the definitive (nearly; they don't mention the additive nature) works on "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216742128-Understanding-Lag-Types">$$TODAY constants , "d" is the only option when it comes to Filters...and to your point, behaves like "c" (Calendar Days), when what I am after is "d" (Business Days). Q: Magic Eight Ball, do I sense an Idea Share post coming in my future? A: Reply hazy try again Regards, Doug Date-Based Variables Workfront provides two date-based wildcard options: $$TODAY This option can be used in combination with any date filter attribute. For example, if you want to display all tasks due before today, you could use the following expression: Planned Start Date < $$TODAY. This is preferable to defining a filter with today's date so you won't have to modify the filter again tomorrow, next week, or next month. $$TODAY is always equal to midnight for the current day. $$NOW This option can be used in combination with any other date filter attribute. For example, if you want to display all hour entries provided up to the current time, you can do this by using the following expression: Planned Start Date < $$NOW. This is preferred over defining a filter and using the current date and time. In other words, each time the filter runs, you will not have to modify it. $$NOW is equal the current date and time. Date wildcards can be combined with the attribute 'q', 'h', 'd', 'w', 'm', 'y' for calendar quarter, hour, day, week, month, year respectively. The qualifiers 'b' and 'e' stand for 'beginning' and 'ending' respectively. The operators '+' and '-' are used to add or subtract values from the wildcard value. Example: The wildcard, '$$TODAYb+2w' is the same as saying, 'Two weeks from the beginning of this week'. The wildcard '$$NOW+2h' is the same as saying 'two hours from now'. Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
I don't know, Doug....this is what my Magic 8 Ball says.... Just yesterday, Justin and I were looking into a similar type of filter option for something that we are working on, so it's very interesting that you would be pondering the same thing and then post this on the Community. :) The idea exchange is your destiny! Or as Yoda would say, "Your destiny, it is"! Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 10
Hi Kelly, As (I'm told) confession is good for the soul... With all due respect to your Magic Eight Ball, I did indeed throw in the towel and solved it by cheating with some code: the Hot Sheet Magic Report I was working on now shows +3, +4, or +5 business days, as the end users desired, and appreciate. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore SEE you at LEAP using the GPS App! https://tinyurl.com/LEAPGPS Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads