Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

Add character limit in text field

Level 3

How can we add a character limit in our text fields? Is this even possible?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi,

unfortunately that is not possible. Having limitation and validation possibilities on custom fields would be something really, really helpful.

Perhaps you can create another idea for this, to give a hint to Adobe.

Regards

Lars

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi,

unfortunately that is not possible. Having limitation and validation possibilities on custom fields would be something really, really helpful.

Perhaps you can create another idea for this, to give a hint to Adobe.

Regards

Lars

Level 3

@stan255 

I needed something similar recently but had to just fall back on the LEN({value}) expression in another field which gave the user an idea of how many characters they were using.

Not really a fix but guided the requester.

Andy

Level 3

Hey @AndyKent, this is a good workaround. Is it possible to add an IF statement into the LEN function?

For example, if LEN > 10, add text "Too long". If LEN < 4, add text "Too short".

Level 3

Sure, you could try:

IF(LEN({name}) <40, "Good!", "Too Many!")

'<40' being the character limit although you may want to play around with this as 41 may be the number you need to return the desired result.

Level 3

Thanks for helping out, @AndyKent.

I gave this a shot and it's giving me N/A. Here's the full formula:

IF(LEN({NAME}) <10, "Over 10", "Less 10")

FYI,
LEN({NAME}) - This works