Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Actual Hours Worked by Month for All Projects

Level 1
I'm a fairly new user, so forgive me if this is an obvious request, but I can't figure out how to create a report that will show me the Actual Hours for all jobs in a given month, broken down by, say, department. I can generate a report like this by fields like Completion Date or Entry Date, but every time I try to generate Hours for all jobs worked in a month -- completed and active -- it brings in the hours for all completed jobs ever... I've read online there's a way to do this using an API, but that's way beyond my skill level. I'm hoping there's a series of filter settings that can be used in the Reporting feature, but I can't figure it out on my own. Thanks for any suggestions or advice! Michael Kaplan
4 Replies

Level 10
can you share which report and filters you are using? I would have thought an hours report filtering on something would do the trick (the something either being when the hours were entered [entry date?] or the planned / actual completion date of the task or issue [those would probably get filtered in separately]), so I'm curious as to what you've tried. -skye

Level 1
Skye - Actually, looking around the site, and with a bit of trial and error, I was able to figure it out. I didn't realize you could sort Actual Hours by Entry Date. Thanks anyway... Best, Mike Kaplan

Level 2
Michael, Although it sounds like you may have it figured out, I wanted to insert a word of caution. I had been struggling with the same thing for quite awhile. We tend to scope work yearly, even though some projects will go longer. So we need to know how much time has been put on a project, but only for the current year. I found that when I use a Project report and get Actual Hours, it pulls in all hours entered on the project EVER. It does not observe any filter I try to place on it to only show me hours for This Year, etc. Actual Hours give you 100% of the time entered on projects no matter what. I did find that when I used an Hours report, I was able to get the results I wanted. Although the Hours report breaks it down into each hours entry, which is more detailed than I need, it was able to filter by the time constraint I wanted and Sum the hours. Hope that helps. Thanks, Chris Chris Jackson CheckMark

Level 1
Chris - Thank you for pointing that out -- of course, you are correct, and I probably would have embarrassed myself if one of my bosses had spotted it first! The Hours Report did exactly what I need it to... Thanks again. -Mike