Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Update a specific task end date for a group of projects using Fusion

Level 2

Hi folks. I have a scenario that is creating a set of projects based on 1 of 4 templates based on filters, and I'm setting the overall project end date based on a campaign end date plus x days so the workflow can also build in x weeks to turn around post-campaign analysis.

However the launch date of the campaign could be anything from a day to 6 weeks before the campaign end date, and I need the tasks preceding launch to back-calculate their dates (based on predecessors & successors) from the launch date. The launch date for each campaign is specified in the original doc I'm linking to, but is there a way to update my "launch campaign" task in all created projects to have a planned completion date based on the corresponding date in the source file?

That reads back quite complicated to me, so a more simple clear would be "has anyone successfully used Fusion to update the planned completion date for a specific task across a number of projects"?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Cracked it - not overly complex but I'm learning Fusion through experimentation! Recognising I had a scenario that built out all the projects within which I needed to update Launch Date tasks, I added a task-level Search module to locate all tasks where Task Name contains "Launch" and where Project ID equal to Project ID from the initial creation module. I then added a task-level Update Record module linked on Task ID to the Search module and updated the necessary data. 

As Heather rightly advised, this did also require ensuring the constraint type and constraint date were updated as well to avoid erroring.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Yes, in my previous instance we set the completion date of the Launch task based on a date that was captured in a custom form using Fusion. And somebody in my new instance just asked me earlier this week about setting a planned start date via Fusion.

You'll need to set not only the planned completion date, but also the Task Constraint, and maybe Constraint Date. I forget exactly, Constraint Date might even be more important than the Planned Completion Date

Your constraint options are the same as if you were manually setting the planned completion date

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-work/tasks/task-information/task-plan...

Level 2

Thanks for the response and the advice, much appreciated! It sounds like a similar use case, but I don't think tackles my main challenge unfortunately.

I think I can update a single task planned completion date using an Update Record module, the task ID and type = Task and updating planned completion date. As you say, there may be some complexity dependent on the task constraints set etc.

My main challenge is my scenario creates a group of projects, and all modules through the scenario use the ID created for that group to 1.apply templates 2.update owners 3.update key project info. However, all dates back-calculate from the overall end date (launch date + 4 weeks to allow for post-analysis). This leaves the launch date being calculated at a specific duration whereas in fact it needs to be manually set as it can vary in length from the end date. So I need to update the planned completion date of that specific task in each project in the group, which will then mean the preceding task dates all back-calculate from there. 

So the real issue is can I update a date associated to a specific task for each project within a group of projects created through the scenario? I'm increasingly thinking it just isn't possible.

Correct answer by
Level 2

Cracked it - not overly complex but I'm learning Fusion through experimentation! Recognising I had a scenario that built out all the projects within which I needed to update Launch Date tasks, I added a task-level Search module to locate all tasks where Task Name contains "Launch" and where Project ID equal to Project ID from the initial creation module. I then added a task-level Update Record module linked on Task ID to the Search module and updated the necessary data. 

As Heather rightly advised, this did also require ensuring the constraint type and constraint date were updated as well to avoid erroring.