Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Have you set up Workfront as a Document Library?

Level 4

I was recently asked by a team member if they could use Workfront as a document library. As I was playing around with the idea it occurred to me that this amazing group has already thought of this. So, has any one here set up a document library in Workfront? If so...

1. how did you set it up? how did you organize the files?
  2. what are you best practices?
  3. what are your lessons learned?
  4. how was it received?

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi there! WorkFront isn't really intended to be used as a DAM, but rather for working files/reference files. I don't recommend it is a DAM/library in itself, you'll run into file storage limit issues down the road. However, there are native integrations you can look into to use as a DAM, including WF's very own WF DAM. Info on that here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/documents/wf-dam-within-workfront/manage-doc...

Orgs also use Sharepoint, Box, Dropbox and AEM native WF integrations as DAMs to be able to send final files from WF (and can upload files to WF from them).

If you found this helpful, please mark correct to help others : )

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 4

Thanks Madalyn, we are not intending to use it as a DAM but rather as a place for reference files as you suggest. Storage should not be an issue as we plan to use it along with the native integration to one of the cloud providers. I tried creating a document report but found that it was a bit limited in terms of how the files could be displayed with relation to folders.

I use this to show the folder in the View:

displayname=Folder
listdelimiter=<p>
listmethod=nested(folders).lists
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression={name}
valueformat=HTML

But I don't know how to make the folder Group user friendly ... this appears to group by folder but it is a big, long, unintelligible string.

group.0.linkedname=direct
group.0.namekey=folders
group.0.valuefield=folders
group.0.valueformat=HTML
textmode=true

Community Advisor

Hi Matt,

I messed with the Grouping text mode a bit and after referencing the API explorer, I'm fairly positive you unfortunately can't group by doc folder name, what you're seeing is the doc URL or a variation of the ID (Community, correct me if I'm wrong here).
Would it help you to group the docs by project name? If so, here is the text mode for that:
group.0.name=
group.0.valuefield=project:name
group.0.valueformat=HTML
textmode=true

Community Advisor

@Matt_McC Following up on this, I’m curious.

Level 4

Thanks, Madalyn. The group by project worked (thank you!) but it is not going to meet our needs. I tried tweaking the grouping for folder but could not make it work. It feels close but I cannot figure out how to make it readable. 

group.0.namekey=folders (also tried: folder:name and folderID)
group.0.valuefield=folders (also tried: folder:name and folderID)
group.0.valueformat=HTML
textmode=true

Community Advisor

Sorry that I can't figure this out. Anything I look up in API explorer regarding doc folders says this info isn't groupable. I tried playing with text mode to add this info as a column instead of a grouping, and you could sort the column, but can't figure that out either.

Level 4

Hey Madalyn, thanks for trying! It is a shame we can't do this seemingly simple thing. I might have to think outside the box.com on this one