Expand my Community achievements bar.

How can I change the font color of text within a topic?

Level 2

I'd like to be able to indicate changed text within my topics by a different color for reviewers. Can text be changed/highlighted in a different color, either in source or author view, as an alternative to using tracked changes?

Thanks!

3 Replies

Level 2

Hello,

there might be an easier way, but you could try setting the status attribute as a controlled value in a subject scheme map. 

Lukas307478337x42_1-1691392500879.png

Next, select a root map, in which this subject scheme map is referenced.

Lukas307478337x42_2-1691392593902.png

You will be able to select the status attibute in the "conditions" panel on the left hand side of the editor. By default, it will have a color assigned that will be shown in the author mode. Unfortunately, you cannot select that color yourself. At least I haven't found a way to do so.

Lukas307478337x42_0-1691392422302.png

Please note, however, that the reviewer would also need to have selected the same root map, to see this markup. Furthermore, I cannot guarantee that they will see the same color, as I have only tested this on my own system.

I hope that helps.

All Best,

Lukas

Level 2

Hi Lukas!

Thanks for providing me the insights I needed on configuring text highlights. 

As I'm new to Guides, I'm not familiar with the "subject scheme map". Could you explain how to access it, and if you need administrator privileges, or is this an alternative way if you don't have the admin access?

Instead of this method, I added conditions with color highlight to the existing Status attribute. It's easy to drag and drop a condition on an element or word within a topic. Reviewers also see the color highlights, which was the main purpose.

Level 2

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I didn't get around to answering sooner.

Subject Scheme Maps as such are a standard DITA mechanism. By default, they can be maintained by any author in Guides. It would be a bit much to explain them in their entirety here, but I can give you an overview:

Basically they allow you to define controlled values for your filtering attributes (i.e. "products", "audience"...). For example you could define the value "Microsoft Windows" for the platform attribute and then define "Vista" and "XP" as child values. If you set your conditions in the ditaval file to filter topics with the attribute "platform = Microsoft Windows", topics with "XP" and "Vista" would get filtered out as well. 

In general this allows your authors to standardize the attribute values they want to use, without needing to change configurations in the system. Also, by using different subject scheme maps for every project, you can have project specific attribute values.

You can read up on them in the official documentation: Subject scheme maps and their usage (oasis-open.org)

Here are some examples: Examples of subject scheme maps (oasis-open.org)

How to use them in Guides

1. Create a subject scheme map in the Guides editor (a template should be available by default I think).
  2. Define the attribute values you need in the subject scheme map.
  3. Reference the subject scheme map in your root map, using the <mapref> element.
  4. If you haven't done so yet, select the root map in your user preferences.

-> The attribute values you defined should now be available in the attributes tab, as well as in the Subject Scheme tab. In the Subject Scheme Tab, any Hierarchies you defined will also be shown.

The following tutorial also shows their usage: Conditions | Adobe Experience Manager (you can skip to the 9 minute mark)

Hope that helps

All Best,

Lukas