Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

'This operation is not permitted' message

Former Community Member
Good Afternoon,

I'm using Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional, I have created a form using LiveCycle Designer (from a PDF ) that contains only text fields, radio buttons and check boxes. When the form is saved, it can be opened without trouble in both Reader and Professional. However, when I select 'Enable User Rights in Adobe Reader' with Acrobat, save, close and re-open, the file opens (in Professional and Reader) with the message 'This operation is not permitted'. After two click-throughs the error box disappears, but it's a bit unprofessional and I can't get it to go away. I've made two other forms the exact same way and they don't have any problems, only this one does.

I've tried doing everything I could think of, both in LiveCycle and Acrobat to try and fix the dang file but nothing works. I fixed the fonts so they are all embedded now. Please, if someone, anyone out there has any suggestions or solutions, post them now. Thank you.
11 Replies

Former Community Member
I downloaded adobe reader 9.0. When I click on a doc in internet which should open with adobe reader, I geet a black empty dialog box. Says I have improper app to open it, refers me to a dialog box whihc lists adobe reader 9.0 app which listing is greyed out. My reader v. 8+ worked fine, but I deleted, expecting 9.0 to work.

Google search, forums, customer service have no answers.

Unbelievable that the main (only?) reader available has no support and won't work intuitiuvely. Any solutions, please??

Level 1

I am having the same problem.  I have one version of the form that works!  However, when I change the submit button in Designer, save, then add Acrobat Reader rights, open in Acrobat Reader 9, I consistently get the dreaded message "This operation is not permitted."  I don't get the message until the last step of adding Acrobat Reader right in Acrobat Professional 9.  Looking at the amount of time devoted to this message, you would think Adobe would remove it or at least be more specific as to what operation should be modified.  Or maybe provide a summary of help fixes related to this problem.

Attached is the file I am having so much trouble with.  Can anyone please help?

Level 1

I've got the same problem. The dialog box pops up twice (probably once for saving rights and once for printing).Seems like this is a well-known bug that Adobe needs to address. The form I developed for my customer makes me look like a dope with the error boxes.

Level 1

I've struggled with the same annoyance and found that both of the forms showing this behavior have had the touch-up text or typewriter tool used in Acrobat before the Reader extensions were applied. I went back and created the form without using the typewriter or touch-up text tool and the form behaves perfectly. Hope this helps.

Level 1

Ok, so this was had been driving me crazy for several hours this morning. To resolve the issues all I did was; copy (Ctrl + A) my LiveCycle form and paste it to a new form in LiveCycle. Saved the new form, then used Adobe Acrobat X Pro to: Save As --> Reader Extended PDF --> Enable Additional Features. Now the form opens without error and can be saved. Hope this helps out.

Level 1

Brilliant, Thanks @SDTim2, this was really helpful as I created the form in InDesign on a mac and it all worked perfectly this end, it was only when I sent it on to a client using a PC that the errors appeared as I had no way of testing this end as I wasn't encountering the same problems. Did as you said, and it worked perfectly. Many many thanks.

Former Community Member

I'm replying to this old thread for anyone looking for this problem in the future ( like I did ).

The problem for me was that the original .pdf had a single blank comment in it.

I opened it in Acrobat pro, deleted the comment, saved, opened it in livecycle, changed the illustration ( or whatever you had to change in the first place ), save it again, opened it in Acrobat and save for Reader Extended PDF.

It now works

PS: nice job Adobe with useless error messages. Just saying "Comments are not allowed" instead of "This operation is not permitted" would have saved countless hours to countless people.

Level 1

I had the same problem, using latest Acrobat DC. Turned out that it was because one of the documents was signed with a certificate. I've converted the signed document to a plain PDF (via print dialogue in Preview app) and after that document diff tool worked.

Level 1

I am so new to this and seriously frustrated.

I am using Adobe Professional 8

Help!!!!

Level 1

I JUST EXPERIENCED THIS ISSUE AND FOUND, LIKE SEVERAL WHO HAVE COMMENTED, THERE WAS AN ERROR WITH THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT I BUILT THE FORM FROM.

I WAS STARTING FROM AN ADOBE DOCUMENT I DIDNT HAVE THE SOURCE FOR SO WHAT I DID WAS SAVE THE .PDF BACK TO .DOCX, RECREATE THE ARTWORK DOCUMENT.PDF, THEN CREATE NEW FORM BY COPYING FIELDS, ETC FROM EARLIER VERSION OF THE FORM THAT WASNT WORKING.

AFTER NEW PDF WAS CREATED FROM NEWLY SOURCED ARTWORK, ALL IS GOOD.

Level 1

Hi Adobe

Please assist...

I have created a text only pdf (call it pdf 1) with a button at the bottom of the text.

The buttons' 'actions' is to:

• Go to a page in another document
    • File: PDF attachment
    • Page: 1
    • Zoom Level: Custom

In other words the button opens a second pdf (pdf 2), which is attached within the document (pdf 1) and that pdf 2 is a form that one can submit to an email address.

1. That form (pdf 2) has been saved as a Reader Extended PDF so that users who only have Reader can still fill it in and submit it using its 'submit to email' button.
  2. Note: The form when not attached to pdf 1 works perfectly.
  3. Note: I have experimented by also saving pdf 1 as a Reader extended PDF in case this was the problem.
  4. Both PDF's were originally created in InDesign CC.

The problem is that after opening the form (pdf 2 which is attached in pdf 1) from pdf 1 it seems that those who have a Reader cannot submit the form:

The client got an error message indicating "This operation is not permitted" and a colleague (who only has Reader) got the message: "Sending Data Files By Email Please Note: This form contains an email submit button. Clicking this button will email a data file containing data you type into this form. However, the form itself will not be sent. Remember you cannot save a completed copy of this form with Adobe Reader 9 or later."