Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How to create a "sub-form" within a fillable PDF form to be distributed to users?

Level 1

I'm creating a fillable PDF form with Acrobat Pro DC to be distributed. I created an action button in the form, which will open a sub-form saved on my desktop. However, when distributed, other users cannot access this "sub-form" by clicking the button. I see that I may need to add an opening preference for the target file, but how do I do this? Thanks!

4 Replies

Level 4

If this "SubForm" is a completely different file, then the best way to distribute it is to make it an Attachment to the other file and then use the "GoTo Page View" action on a Button to open it.  There's also a JavaScript function for this.

You could also put it on a server and have the button open the file from an URL.

Level 1

Thanks! This sub form is a completely different file. In fact, this sub form has another sub form embedded in it, too. Because of the nature of the documents, I cannot use the "goto page view" or the URL function. Is there no other way to do this? Would you know how to add an opening preference for the target file? I really appreciate your help!

Level 4

Why can't you use the "Goto page view"?  This is the preferred method because it will work when JS is not available. Just open the attachment in another Acrobat tab and when you select the "Goto page view" action, click on the embedded file.

The JavaScript for this is tricky, but here it is:

var oDoc = openDataObject(dataObjects[0].name)

app.openDoc(xx.path)

This code opens the first file attachment. And it won't work everywhere.

Level 3

Not sure what you are expecting/wanting to happen. There's another form on your desktop, but people on other computers can't reach to get the files on your desktop.