Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Working Principle of OOTB Scheduled Activation Workflow

Level 2

We are trying to understand the working principle of OOTB Scheduled Activation Workflow. Actually we are not clear how Adobe has implemented "Waiting for Activation" block.

Workflow: /libs/settings/workflow/models/scheduled_activation

If some useful documents could be shared, it would be very helpful for us to understand it.

When we see "Waiting for Activation" participant step in the workflow, we don't see any timeout related logic here.

Screenshot (409).png

4 Replies

Community Advisor

I am able to see  "AbsoluteTimeAutoAdvancer" as timeout handler here, /libs/settings/workflow/models/scheduled_activation/jcr:content/flow/participant/metaData. The Absolute Time Auto Advancer times outs and advances to the next step automatically (which is the Activate Page step) at the selected date/time.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 12.22.38 PM.png

Level 2

Hi @Ganthimathi_R 

Thanks for your response.

But I could not understand how & where the Activation Date & Time provided by Workflow Initiator is getting used. How the system will understand the scheduled time is reached. When there is timeout 0, how the Absolute Time Auto Advancer is advancing to the next step i.e., Activation Step.

If you can help me to understand this topic, it would be very helpful.

Community Advisor

Hi @S_K_Agarwal 

The Scheduled activation workflow details can be found under "/var/workflow/instances/"

Here is the sample screenshot, the "absoluteTime" property will hold the activation date & time.

cq:waitingToAdvance will be true until page activation.

Ganthi_0-1658353020480.png

Hope it helps !

Community Advisor

@S_K_Agarwal 

The publish workflow publish later will wait in the /var/workflow location for the page to publish. It is same as 'activate now'  Please refer to below links

There should be a system user with necessary permisions to trigger the publish event on time.

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/publish-later-error-not-en...

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/activation-wf-stuck-in-wai...