Expand my Community achievements bar.

AEM6.5 Video Thumbnails missing

Level 7

We use AEM Asset Videos but they appear they do not have thumbnails under Renditions in the DAM. When you look under Renditions only original MP4 is there. Also when one adds a video using the DAM browser a front end error occurs in AEM Editor because assetSelectedEvent.thumbnail is undefined.

I was reading some articles here that one needs Adobe Dynamic Media https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/assets/dynamic/scene7.html?lang=en. Is that a hosted solution? How can one obtain MP4 thumbnails in Assets without Adobe Dynamic Media?

function handleSelections(control, state, selections) {
var API_ASSETS = "/api/assets";
var ASSETS_PREFIX = "/content/dam";
var assetPath = selections[0].value;
var jsonAssetPath = assetPath.substring(ASSETS_PREFIX.length);
$.get(API_ASSETS + jsonAssetPath + ".json").done(function(data) {
if (!data.properties || !data.properties.metadata || !data.properties.metadata["dc:format"])
return;
var thumbnailLink = data.links.find(function(elem) {
return elem.rel.includes("thumbnail")
});
var assetSelectedEvent = jQuery.Event("assetselected");
assetSelectedEvent.path = assetPath;
assetSelectedEvent.mimetype = data.properties.metadata["dc:format"];
assetSelectedEvent.thumbnail = $("\x3cimg/\x3e").attr({
"src": thumbnailLink.href,
"alt": data.properties.metadata["dc:title"] || data.properties.name
});
self._$element.trigger(assetSelectedEvent)
})
}

3 Replies

Community Advisor

@anasustic  Have you checked this: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/assets/manage/ma... Please follow the steps mentioned there. 

Please note, without Dynamic Media license, Experience Manager provides basic support for videos, such as transcoding using FFmpeg, extraction of preview thumbnails for the supported file formats, and preview in the user interface for formats that are supported for playback in the browser directly.

If you still face any issues, I request you to raise a support ticket with Adobe later.