Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

connect to another AEM DAM from an AEM instance search page

Level 2

Hi Team,

Can somebody tell how to connect to another AEM DAM from an AEM instance search page and search for assets and render thumbnails. Clicking on the thumbnails will be an external link to the asset.?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

The 2 options you listed sounds right. Best use case for DAM is to work with the local DAM instance.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Level 10

You want to use another AEM DAM from a separate AEM instance? That does not sound like best practice.

Level 10

Hey Sampath,

I think you cannot connect to another AEM DAM from seperate AEM instance. You can only access/downlaod DAM assets using URL or ZIP in the page

See this HELPX article here: Adobe Experience Manager Help | Downloading Adobe Experience Manager DAM Assets using Sling Servlets...

~Ratna.

Level 10

Ratna is correct - while you can use HTTP to access assets on other AEM DAM instances - you cannot hook up the AEM DAM UI to another AEM instance.

Administrator

Moving this to AEM Assets topic.

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Sampath works with me in my project. Pls allow me to clarify.

The business need is as follows:

- They have 2 AEM instances with the Instance 2 being used exclusively for Adobe Assets

- The application is deployed in Instance 1 and should have capability to embedded assets into a page as link for download

- The search functionality in the application deployed in Instance 1 should be able to search DAM assets & their metadata from both instances

One of the options is to use a search indexer like Apache SOLR and index both instance there however the customer doesnt want us to introduce a new software to their stack which will take 3-6 months for approval.

The second option is to use some kind of a feed from Instance 2 and create the nodes(with absolute urls to Instance for binary) in Instance 1. The assets still reside in Instance 2 but just a bare metadata and absolute url in node in instance 1.

Is there any other better approach?

Correct answer by
Level 10

The 2 options you listed sounds right. Best use case for DAM is to work with the local DAM instance.

Level 4

Hello smacdonald2008​. If my plan is to use AEM assets  as a central asset repository for my organization and have multiple applications consume the assets (meta data + binaries) from this central repo. Is this an ideal use case for AEM assets

Regards,

Anand

Level 4

kautuk sahni​. SInce there are limitations in the current release of Connected Assets, is Exposing the assets from Instance 2 using Content fragments a viable option.

Level 1

I'm following up the same configuration recommended here for connecting sites & asset instance

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/experience-manager-65/assets/using/use-assets-across-connecte...

this one works on localhost instances but not with stage instances. The connected assets test on sites failing to connect with the DAM server with an error message "couldn't connect to connected assets endpoint."