Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Bounce marked as "Unreachable" instead of "User Unknown"

Employee

Hello,

There are bounces marked as "Unreachable" with "User not found" details.
Shouldn't this be marked as "User unknown" instead if this is an invalid address?

As per documentation:
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/campaign-standard/using/reporting/list-of-reports/bounce-sum...
User unknown: The type of error generated when a delivery is sent to an invalid email address.
Unreachable: The type of error encountered in the message delivery string, such as domain temporarily unreachable.

Please, check screenshot:

dm121_0-1692004109745.png

Thank you!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello @dm121 

In your case, the domain used in the email address does not exist, which is why the status is "Unreachable".

If there is something like RANDOM_USER_@gmail.com, where we know the domain is working but the email address doesn't, you will see the "User unknown" status.

Sometimes, this status can also change depending on the response received from the email service providers.

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello @dm121 

In your case, the domain used in the email address does not exist, which is why the status is "Unreachable".

If there is something like RANDOM_USER_@gmail.com, where we know the domain is working but the email address doesn't, you will see the "User unknown" status.

Sometimes, this status can also change depending on the response received from the email service providers.

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Employee

Hello @Manoj_Kumar_ ,

Thank you for looking into this.

In this case the email address is  user_name@privaterelay.appleid.com, wouldn't "User unknown" be more appropriate for this?

This looks like a bounce qualification issue, possible a bug, what do you think?

thank you!

Community Advisor

Hello @dm121, The given email address is a proxied one, not a real one. The response sent back by Apple is making it qualified for Unreachable status.

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Employee Advisor

@dm121 ,

In this case, 550 5.1.1 was received from ISPs.

An error has occurred in the message delivery chain. It could be an incident on the SMTP relay, a domain that is temporarily unreachable, etc.

You can refer-

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/campaign-classic/using/sending-messages/monitoring-deliverie...

Basically, on ACC side, whatever is received from the domain side is reflected.

Had it been qualified for User unknown", it would have been shown accordingly.