Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What is your workaround for .PDF export of report with rich text fields?

Level 5

We've recently started to use rich text fields to help make our reports easier to read instead of just a bunch of text in a "recent updates" and/or "up next" field for our management. While it all looks great on a screen, most of our leadership team prefers a printed document for notes/comments/retention. So when I export the report(s) all of the formatting in the rich text fields disappears. Even worse, if I've stacked two rich text columns together, the section headers disappear and one of the stacked fields just disappears altogether!

Is there any workaround that you utilize in your organization?

I've opened an item in the innovation lab as I don't think that this should be intended functionality.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Thanks for tagging me @Doug Den Hoed‚ . With Reporting Canvas we have built the PDF export functionality to generate a PDF of exactly what is seen on the screen, from visualizations to tables to rich text fields. You will now be able to send exactly what is on the screen.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

Hi Ryan,

I suspect that any improvements in this area will need to wait for the upcoming New Reporting Experience that @Matt Thomas‚ is spearheading, so until then, suggest you consider using screen shots (cumbersome, limited) or if it's important enough, our Magic Reports solution, which we've already enhanced to correctly preserve such rich text formatting (including, with a bit of training: colors).

Regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what all is capibible in the New Reporting Experience! Right now I'm using GoFullPage Pro to capture the report, but I'll also check your Magic Reports option. :D

Thanks,

Ryan

Correct answer by
Employee

Thanks for tagging me @Doug Den Hoed‚ . With Reporting Canvas we have built the PDF export functionality to generate a PDF of exactly what is seen on the screen, from visualizations to tables to rich text fields. You will now be able to send exactly what is on the screen.

Level 5

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the update! Definitely looking forward to getting access to the Reporting Canvas beta.

Level 1

Was the PDF export functionality carried over from reporting canvas to canvas dashboards? It seems like rich text fails to render when a report is turned into a PDF from the canvas Dashboards.