Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Using Epics IN WF - any workarounds?

Level 3

Just wondering if anyone has ideas on how to use Epics in WF. I’ve tried various arrangements of parents on a project to mimic but none work very well. Is it possible to have the progress on the Parent task of one project update the progress on a different project parent task? What I’d really like is for tasks to roll up to stories, stories roll up to parent, parent roll up to Epic, all visible on the Story Board. Thanks.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 3

Hi @Jim Grey‚ - sorry for the late response. It looks like you are managing an initiative that is being worked on across multiple teams, is that right? Are you using the "program" level object in Workfront?

Former Community Member

Hey Jim,

br

One possibility would be to model this would be to use the WF Project as an Epic, WF Parent Task as Story, and WF Sub Task as task in your example. This would be able to show a complete roll up of the completion percentage / other data. There is not currently a way to map the parent task of one project to update the progress on another project without using WF Fusion.

Another possible solution could be to use a Program to organize the Epics (WF Projects)- That way you could see the overall progress across all related projects in the Program. For example Project X, Y , Z percent complete and the total program sum as well.

br

Have you tried using the program to roll up this data?

Is there specific reporting you are trying to drive with this roll up?

br

Thank you,

Brian Toplicar

br

Level 3

0694X00000FT33tQAD.pngThanks Brian and Melissa.

Here's a snip from a WF Agile video that shows a column for Epic. I assumed that the functionality existed but I could not find it.

Level 1

Seeing if there was a new work around found this year (2022)? Wanting to incorporate Epics and was checking to see if WF has added a functionality for this? I can't find any documentation.

Level 7

Hello - when you describe "Epics" are you thinking of a Jira integration or a different context?