Expand my Community achievements bar.

Typeahead fields: how do you plan to use it?

Level 7
Curious how everyone plans to utilize the new typeahead fields or how they are using it now. I'd like to hear some ideas to help me understand if it would work well for us. Leah Janz Metro Transit
5 Replies

Level 7
Our biggest use-case was to ensure the consistent naming of companies across all our forms. We have all of our clients input as "Companies" in the set-up screens. Now that we have type-ahead available for Company, we can utilize that field for things like project request forms, and in request queues so we aren't trying to guess which one of several similarly named companies someone was trying to get assistance with. Secondarily, we have a custom form attached to the Company record that contains key information from several secondary systems. By forcing people to pick from a drop-down we ensure the integrity of that secondary data, allowing better reporting overall. As a specific example, the Custom Form for the company contains the Company ID from our accounting system, allowing us to integrate billing data with Workfront data in Tableau. Katherine Katherine Stibley

Level 2
I agree they are very useful for consistency . However I would like to know if the field size can be change. For example we use it for a project name field. Now we can start typing and a list will appear for projects that could fit. However it shows the first 10 characters and then last 10 characters. We have many projects starting with the same name making it difficult to select the correct project. Is there a way to get it to display the complete project name? Thanks Chris Langan Canandaigua National Corporation

Level 6
Try this: Go to "Edit Report", and click on the field using the Typehead. Click "Switch to text mode" At the bottom, put: usewidths=true width=100 (or something, you can keep adjusting this until it gets you to be a size that shows everything). Not sure if it will work but worth a shot. Tim Tim Brooks Invicro

Level 6
I am hoping for more robust typeahead functionality - i would love it if we could create our own grouping / listings to then reference via type ahead i.e. we have a lot of different elements - having one field list referenceable across all objects would be extremely useful for this Ryan Carroll Integrated Marketing Services

Level 3
We noticed this too, but after testing it we found that when the form displays on the issue/project after submission, it shows the entire project name. It is mostly just difficult to read at the time of entry, which isn't ideal, but also isn't a deal breaker for us. Our planned uses so far are for references to other projects (in the case of requests where assets are being repurposed from a previous project), as well as allowing the sponsor to select which print producer is working on a given print project. Mike Perez