Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Pdf embedded in a custom form: is it possible to have links open in new tab?

Level 3

Dear super helpful community,

Has anyone experienced an issue where there is an embedded pdf in a custom form and it has links. When you put the custom form in a request queue, when the user clicks those links, they open in the same tab and when you go back - you can only get to the general Requests page, not your request form (so user experience is poor, they cannot go back to the instructions and other links in the pdf). I realize there may be many things related, but perhaps someone had such an issue and managed to fix it?

Best

Justyna 

2 Replies

Level 10

Ah, I've heard this song, Justyna...

Many of our Magic Reports based solutions present results in pdf format with clickable hyperlinks so end users can easily navigate directly to the relateitems within Workfront (e.g. Projects, Tasks, Issues, etc.). By default, as you've observed, most browsers open a clicked hyperlink in the same tab, which is NOT desirable when the user still wants to use the original tab open for reference, especially if they've done some scrolling to get to the hyperlink of interest (since that scroll position gets lost in the process).

For our solutions, we train our users (most of whom use Chrome) to first hold [Ctrl] and then click the hyperlink, which Chrome understands (more info here) as a directive to preserve the existing tab contents (and scroll position) and instead open the target of the hyperlink in a new tab.

One shown (and seeing for themselves the desired result), most users find that [Ctrl]+click technique does the trick. Alternatively (although I've not bothered, myself, since I prefer the finesse the [Ctrl]+click approach gives me), there are also plugins such as this one for Chrome that allow users to always open hyperlinks in a new tab (within a user-specified list of websites).

Either way, I invite you to try these out, and am interested to hear how you make out. Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks, after also checking with WF support it seems this is in fact the only workaround, which is not perfect. I have entered an idea to have it fixed, in case someone comes across this post, here is the link.

Best

Justyna