Expand my Community achievements bar.

New search functionality on Workfront One - Sneak Peek

Employee

If you're interested in checking out our new search functionality on Workfront One and would like a sneak peek, please let me know and I'll reach out and see if we can get something started for you.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

23 Replies

Level 5

I'm always down for a sneak peek, sign me up!

Level 10

I am so slammed these days with meetings all day long (hence my sometimes idiotic questions on here made in a panic while multitasking in conference calls) but the only thing I find myself yearning for in the search results is to filter and sort by date (planned completion/entry/planned start etc).. I’m hoping this is going to be part of it.. looking forward to hearing the response from those who get to see it.

Employee

Hi Jill! I can totally understand being slammed with meetings all day... for me it comes in waves. Some days are free and some are just jam packed!

This is not about the search within the Workfront product, this is about the search on Workfront One. I'm hopeful it will be helpful to people anyway, and we're close to releasing it, so even if you don't have time to check it out now and give feedback, that's okay! :)

Community Advisor

you can filter and sort using Advanced Search, by the way. Just follow the instructions here to find advanced search. https://one.workfront.com/s/document-item?bundleId=the-new-workfront-experience&topicId=Content%2FWo...

Level 10
I use advanced search the same way I filter Zappos for shoes – using every filter available 😊 But not having a good way to sort or filter dates means I still have some search results that are miles and miles long. This is a big wishlist item for me. As we use it longer, the list of search results is ginormous!

Community Advisor

I am sooo curious about what you're saying, because advanced search allows you to "add a filter"--so I would think it's definitely better than Zappos in that sense!

With that and with it already allowing you to set any view and grouping, as well as download to Excel, it's pretty equivalent to being a report that has an additional keyword search functionality. The only real issue is not being able to load filters the way you can load views and groupings--which means no advanced textmode filters for exists or collections.

I was wondering to myself why I wouldn't use advanced search INSTEAD of making some of the reports I make, at this point. For simply filtering on dates, I would have definitely thought this function was a no brainer. I don't want to shill for Workfront simply because they don't pay me to advertise their product -- but this seems pretty decent!

I would love to hear about what improvement you would want to see. If you have a wishlist item, there must be quite a gap.

Level 10

Skye I feel you are trying to tell me something important, but I'm not getting it. I did finally see the date filter, I don't know why that was eluding me. And there are the left side filters to narrow down the search. But how do you do a grouping in an advanced search? I feel I'm missing something very important.

Community Advisor

0694X00000EPJn2QAH.png

I circled the filter, views and grouping areas... not sure what your advanced search area looks like?

Community Advisor

One thing I'll add to Skye's screenshot is for me the advanced area must be filled in prior to hitting the blue search button. It goes away once I pull up results

Level 10

I do not have this view!! No wonder I don't know what you are talking about.

@Kyna Baker - inactive‚ any idea what we are looking at here? I don't have these abilities to filter or search on the upper left the way this screenshot shows.

Employee

Hi Jill,

I think this might be a bug! You should submit a ticket and see because that should be there.

Weird!

Kyna

Level 10

OMG I now see what is happening. It acts differently if you click Advanced Search AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEARCH. I've only been using the left side nav filter. This is life changing.

It is indeed, Jill,

Personally, I use the Advance Search almost exclusively. I find it has better success retrieving the right results, allows better filtering, and supports views, groupings, and exporting.

One minor gotcha is that sometimes the orange button in the bottom left under the filters will disappear or get stuck in a disabled mode, but adding or modifying the filter usually corrects it.

One major gotcha is that, where in Classic it is a stable window of its own, in NWE it is a slide-out window and has a tendency to unceremoniously close itself (eg if you add a new view from within it), forcing you to then start over...As Designed, from what I understand.

Regards,

Doug

Employee

I'm so glad you found it!! I'll pass feedback along that it wasn't clear how to find that!

Community Advisor

Oh. Yeah. There's no way to Advanced Search from Regular Search. That's why I always say Advanced Search to indicate "the other search". Not really worth using regular search except when I know that what I'm looking for is in the title of the thing.

Now that we have that all solved, does someone want to clue me in on Zappos search hacks?

Community Advisor

Thanks for that note Doug. I've never tried to make a view from Advanced but I'll be sure to mark that down!

Community Advisor

also a gotcha for when you do it while in a prompted report. The prompts reset to zero and you're forced to start over.