Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Creating a request from a request

Level 2

Has anyone ever created a request from a request? Sounds strange, I know, but my team has an opportunity to begin a request with SME's from another team who would essentially complete the remaining details of a request before it is converted to a project. Unsure how to begin this flow and looking to see if anyone does anything similar.

Thanks!!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @ColleenKl - So (unfortunately) you can't create a request from a request. Agree that a two-stage type of request would be super beneficial in Workfront (there's probably an idea on the Ideas page worth upvoting).

I think the easiest solution would be having the person who starts the request add the additional team members / team that needs to fill out the request form once they are done in Assignments (this way they get notified and get access to the object). Depends on how your teams operate though, but some food for thought.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Could you have individuals create the request, save the draft, then copy & share the info in the Share Path button in the top right?  The second team could then modify and ultimately submit.

Level 2

I thought about that too, but I am uncertain if request drafts would show up in reporting, which we would need. Do you know off-hand? I can always test

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @ColleenKl - So (unfortunately) you can't create a request from a request. Agree that a two-stage type of request would be super beneficial in Workfront (there's probably an idea on the Ideas page worth upvoting).

I think the easiest solution would be having the person who starts the request add the additional team members / team that needs to fill out the request form once they are done in Assignments (this way they get notified and get access to the object). Depends on how your teams operate though, but some food for thought.

Level 2

Thanks @VictoriaLinn - thought about this too! The one thing holding me back is the fact that we have required fields currently in the form....which my team wouldn't complete, but the other team would. So, we can't save/submit the form without those being completed. I can always change that, of course, but was looking for a way to two-part the process without removing those requirements. Appreciate the help!!

Level 3

I realize that this has been answered and you have marked a response as correct. However, there is another option that you could consider. It would mean that a new request workflow would need to be adopted and possibly training on how to manage it.

If the following is something that you have already considered, please disregard. 

The other options is to create a multi-stage request approval. How this would work is 1) the original requester would fill out the portion of the request they are responsible for and clicking submit. I would suggest breaking the up the request form into sections and label them accordingly. 2) The request would the route to the 1st stage of the request approval. You could set this up to route to an individual or team (the SME from above). From there the rest of the form can be completed and approved (additional benefit, if anything is missing from the first stage, it can be rejected or asked to complete). 3) Add more stages if needed. 4) Final stage, goes to Traffic/Request manager for final approval. 

If you have multiple SME groups that will complete the form for very specific types of requests (i.e. email deliverable, product x team, social content, etc.), you can create Queue Topics and Routing Rules to push the appropriate requests to the right SME/s. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Best,

Joaquin