Expand my Community achievements bar.

Better Graphical Project Timeline Report

Level 3
I could not find an existing discussion for this subject. I am looking for a better way to show my project timelines besides the Gantt chart view. I can export the data into excel and import it to some excellent timeline reports that companies offer. I was hoping that there is something Workfront can provide or it integrates with. Thoughts. Sunil Devadiga
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 6
Hello, What I do with my team is create a task level report (filter by the project name), which simply gives you a report that looks like the project timeline. We also have x-amount of tasks we don't want the sponsor to see, so I created a custom field called "Sponsor Calendar" which the PMs select which tasks they want to share with the sponsor. Once you create the report, you can allow it to be accessed via a link which is a real-time link the client can access whenever they want. Let me know if this answers your question. Thanks, Tim Tim Brooks Invicro

Level 3
Thanks Tim for your response. When you say looks like project timeline, what does that mean. I am looking for graphical representation. I also have a custom filter to show only relevant task.

Level 6
So, it would just be the timeline, so not graphical, but a clean look for easy access for your clients. Literally, what the project looks like, the report looks like. The other thing we do is create the calendar report which shows them a month, week, or ganntt view of the tasks. Again, I filter by that custom field to only show the client what we want them to see. Tim Brooks Invicro

Level 10
What other visual representations are you thinking of? For some teams, they like to look at the Team Working On calendar to see what they and their team members are working on. This also has drag and drop to help reassign items if you need that. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 3
Something that this vendor has done. "https://online.officetimeline.com/" https://online.officetimeline.com/ Sunil Devadiga

Level 10
No. There aren't any fancier Gantt charts than what Workfront already provides unfortunately. We did look at Office Timeline but decided we needed to build our own as our people wanted the Gantts in Excel to manipulate later. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 1

Anthony, when you say "we decided to build our own" do you mean that you worked out a way of exporting from Workfront into a gantt for in excel? or do you mean that you build out the Gantt post export in Excel?

We have been creating milestone documents this way (exporting, and then creating the Gantt view within Excel, post export) but it is a bit labor intensive. I would love find out if there is a way to have it export directly into that form.