Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Troubleshooting Data Element for default Value

Level 6

Hi All,

I am new to Adobe Analytics and was running some tests on a staging environment with a DTM data element for "PageName" however it will only return the default value of "Page name not found" in real time reports on dev report suite. I understand that the default value ensures that the data element always has a value, even if a URL parameter does not exist or cannot be found by dynamic tag management.

Question 1: Would it return the default value if my staging environment URL does not start with the identified domain? My staging environment starts with cmsauth.domain.com instead of the www.domain.com.

Question 2: Is there a series of checklist steps I can go through to identify the cause of the "Page name not found" reporting instead of the page name from the digitalData layer?

Thank you for any and all help,

Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Scott,

As per our understanding on the scenario mentioned above, The setting of Data Element wouldn't depend on the staging environment URL as the value is being set using the "JS Object".  It  seems that the value is not getting fetched using the "JS Object " path i.e.  digitalData.page.pageInfo.pageName . Can you please once again check whether the Data layer value is available on a particular page or not. you can check this by opening your browser console and write the JS object path ( digitalData.page.pageInfo.pageName)  on the console and check the value being returned. 

Also, For troubleshooting the data element , Please refer the below article . It provides a series of steps for troubleshooting the data elements.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dtm/kb/troubleshooting---why-is-my-data-element-not-capturing-a-value--.html

Please let us know if you have any questions or queries.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Scott,

As per our understanding on the scenario mentioned above, The setting of Data Element wouldn't depend on the staging environment URL as the value is being set using the "JS Object".  It  seems that the value is not getting fetched using the "JS Object " path i.e.  digitalData.page.pageInfo.pageName . Can you please once again check whether the Data layer value is available on a particular page or not. you can check this by opening your browser console and write the JS object path ( digitalData.page.pageInfo.pageName)  on the console and check the value being returned. 

Also, For troubleshooting the data element , Please refer the below article . It provides a series of steps for troubleshooting the data elements.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dtm/kb/troubleshooting---why-is-my-data-element-not-capturing-a-value--.html

Please let us know if you have any questions or queries.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal