Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

GTM tag added in DTM not working.

Level 3

I had a request to add Google tag manager to our website and i added it using Dynamic Tag Manage (DTM). I created a page load rule and added this script. But my client is saying it is not working as DTM adds the code to the page with an Iframe. Is there a way we can fix this issue?

Regards,

Vidya

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Vidya, 

As a best practice we should not use one Tag management solution  to deploy the code of another Tag management solution like GTM from DTM . These solutions are not designed to be deployed in this manner and some weird things could happen.

Even I assume, If we try to do achieve it through 3rd party scripts , Google won't support it.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

Hi Vidya, 

Are you trying to add the Google Analytics Tracking code or Google Adwords conversion tag through DTM page load rule or you are adding GTM tag for google site verification. Please share the snapshot of the tag code so that we further let you know the solution.

Also, Please let us know when you are firing the rule i.e. Top of the page etc and How you are adding the script i.e. Non sequential javascript or etc.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

Level 2

Vidya,

I don't think it is a good idea to add GTM using DTM. TMS cascading can create lags and side effects.

What is the final purpose of this request following your data governance? Why you don't provide an adapted access to DTM to the requester ?

Level 3

Hi Parit,

I dont have the GTM code right now. This issue I had long back and told them that we can't add GTM code in DTM. Now I have a new request where we are centralizing all paid media scripts to be added to netapp.com. So my question now is we dont want to maintain 2 separate tools GTM and DTM. Why not add GTM code in DTM? It is is not Google analytics code. It is Google Tag manager tracking code which we add in the page to measure the engagement of the user.

Regards,

Vidya

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Vidya, 

As a best practice we should not use one Tag management solution  to deploy the code of another Tag management solution like GTM from DTM . These solutions are not designed to be deployed in this manner and some weird things could happen.

Even I assume, If we try to do achieve it through 3rd party scripts , Google won't support it.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

Level 3

Thanks Parit, Please close the issue.